Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Last edit - ENDLESS
  • all feedback, comments, thoughts, tips, rants, recipes, questions, secrets and other form of communication are most welcome

gashô

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • i can see a couple of instances of weird warping from the warp stabiliser?? used... they are a bit off putting, but then i geuss u could have left them in for creative reasons.... also think it could be a bit shorter.... other than that i think its good, its disconcerting which i guess is desired effect... the motion is very sticatto in places which again seems to strengthen it... (just my two cents)

• @jakepowell

i can see a couple of instances of weird warping from the warp stabiliser??

you see well jake, no creative reasons at all. if was JUST up to me (as I tried) I would not had used it (warp)... but you know, it's not you filming and you don't want people to notice that you haven't slept and that you're on your 3rd coffee and amphetamines for breakfast :P
    I like imperfections and it seems to me (specially fast for the trained eye) that masking imperfections just brings more attention to them ... I guess nobody likes to be fooled, at least if you're able to tell. must say all edits (and this particularly) are a bunch/lots of compromises, what you propose, what client wants, what is best, what are you crying for? I do my best, try to learn most possible and move on.

also think it could be a bit shorter

maybe, but's not a promo; more like a hybrid; the original is around 16-20 min each go. ratio of recorded material to used is about 45/50:1

the motion is very sticatto

I understand this may cause some... allergic reactions, was my first instinct too. after a while I found the images usable even suitable. anyway, they were recorded that way

I see 3 layers here:

1. original footage
    2. my edit
    3. vimeo compression

about choosing of image display (narrative, rythm, cadence, etc.), sound design or grade I'll take blame and kisses :D about original footage... well, despite relentlessly trying to convince Paulo to learn how to use the Gh2 and eventually even to hack it, he's a lazy monkey, you can tell I LOVE HIM, can't you? he filmed the whole thing with quite low bitrate (not to mention AutoWB and WB incongruencies, different frame rates, etc). about vimeo... well, tomorrow I'm trying a new compression export to see if some of the nice grain we used is... left alive. if someone has good tricks or advices at this respect...

I'll leave here a HQ 1080p mp4 excerpt

thanks jake for your feedback

• How does this contraption work?

I like the way you added certain drama to it, still it remained purely formalist crap that I so much love.

• The one thing that bothers me with the edit is the shots which give away the scale. It felt sort of more interesting and wierd when it could have been just about any scale.

• @RRRR I know what you mean; actually, to me, the hardest part of the edit was to go from almost abstract object poetry to something more... explanatory. I think that not being a video object but also not being a descriptive panflet... its must be dfficult, ja ja ja, for him, jjaajaj ja. I don't know... it's like belonging to 2 different realities.

@inqb8tr the wheel hanging from ceiling is rolled; tied to this wheel there's a string which ends in a pendulum. down there are winter's ashes collected from fireplace and a long string that goes through an iron circle. iron circle has itself a string connected to the upper wheel. all string have electric piezo mics. when wheel starts to unroll moves every thing makes (from tiny to loud) sounds. when pendulum reaches circle line, PIM!!! normally they go on till the get embraced together or its 5 o'clock, joking. many times after hug they untie and go on in opposite direction... that is - I just have to say it - absolutely like real life. U got it? if you're interested check other paulo's sound installations' videos, I edited them all, je je:

balanço 5d
    tetateta 5d, this one we filmed together
    circular unhacked Gh2. this I filmed and it was the hardest to work out, also the most beautiful, profound, soul resounding and true sound installition-performance I have ever witness... and I've seen A LOT ofART.

thank you inqb8tr and RRRR for watching and sharing your thoughts and feelings

• Aye, I understand.. Though, from a video viewpoint, as a watcher I felt a bit robbed of one reality. (maybe make 1 documentation piece and 1 profound piece)

• @RRRR thanks for the feed ;-)

As this is a kindof mixed continuation, I wont even open a new thread.
    Soooo many mistakes and fucking roundtrips - monkey scratching head - learning while trying to enjoy ja ja ja

SALARIUM

some pics of the surrounding's naturally beautiful scenario

gashô

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters