Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
When "Yes" means "Hell No!"
  • A guide to Hollywood Deal speak.

http://goodinaroom.com/blog/lie-most-frequently-told-in-hollywood

If you can’t get an in-person meeting at all. If your emails don’t get returned in one week. If your calls don’t get returned in two weeks. If your script has been passed along (to a star, director, or producer), and you haven’t heard back in a month.<

If you pitch to a decision-maker and they want to be in business with you, they will get in touch as soon as possible. If you haven’t heard back, the answer (almost always) is “No.”<

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • yep, that article is crystal clear. it's the same in music over here (europe)... When they like it they will contact you. Also, certain people get so many requests, offers, etc, that they decide really quickly if it will be yes or no. I think 50% of all material (probably more) never gets looked at/listened to simply because it was in "a wrong package" or the email/letter started with the wrong sentences. Having send quite a bit of promotional material in the past years I was told by a concert programmer that when people send them stuff to get the gig, the promo material used has to be high quality and solid to the touch, it has to look great and inviting, and last but not least your product has to be both those things as well. I guess it's about that first impression...

I've spend quite a bit of time trying to convince people who had already made up their minds i just didn't see the signs...

Thanks for posting and reminding :-)

• For a writer, I'd say it's even worse: if you don't hear anything within 4 days of delivery of the script, you'll never get any good news from that party.

There are so many great reasons not to make or fund your movie that the enthusiasm has to precede the script: if they're not dying to read immediately, it's already a lost cause.