Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Four thirds (not MFT) lens on Nikon bodies?
  • A question: is it possible to use an Olympus 4/3rds lens (not MFT) on a Nikon body? Does someone know where I can get an adaptor?

I found this, but it looks like a conversion rather than just an adaptor: http://www.leitax.com/OlympusOM-lens-for-Nikon-cameras.html

According to the Wikipedia film to flange distance chart the Four Thirds mount has a measure of 38.67mm while Nikon F mount is 46.5mm.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • It's not possible. In general, you can only adapt to a camera with a shorter flange focal distance.

• @ahbleza balazer is right, besides, even if flange distance woukd fit, FT and MFT sensors have the same size, the image circle wouldn't cover even DX sensor.

But may I ask: why FT lenses? There are some great Nikkors on the world.... what kind of lens do you need for you Nikon?

EDIT: I've got it: I am sure your plan was to use Nokton on Nikon :-) no way.....

• @tetakpatak I have a Zuiko Olympus f2.0 14-35mm zoom with four-thirds mount, and was thinking of adapting it to use my Nikon cameras. With a Nikon mount I can still use it on my GH2 and AF100 via an adaptor. My only concern is that the four-thirds sensor is significantly smaller than my D7000's APS-C sensor, so I suspect there might be vignetting.

What I'm missing in my Nikkor lens range is a fast wide prime. Of course, the 14mm Zuiko has a 2:1 crop so it's probably not much wider than my 35mm Nikkor prime, or my 20 mm f2.8 Nikkor prime.

And no, I wasn't planning to use my Nokton on my Nikon. That would be just silly. :-)

• @ahbleza

I have a Zuiko Olympus f2.0 14-35mm zoom with four-thirds mount, and was thinking of adapting it to use my Nikon cameras.

There are several reasons why it'll never work on a Nikon. For a fast wide-angle zoom, I'd go with the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 and/or the Nikon 14-24mm f2.8. If you don't need f2.8, both the Nikon and Tokina 12-24mm f4 are fine lenses.

• Thanks @LPowell. Are the Tokina and Nikon wide zooms full frame or DX?

• Nikkor 14-24mm AF-S f/2.8 is hell of a lens: it is full-frame lens that beats very most of the truly great prime lenses in this focal range. It is very big and bulky, heavy lens. Also expensive, but worth every $. Your Nikon will correct its (very slight) CA automatically, it has otherwise just tremendous IQ: great contrasts and colors reproduction, tack sharp from corner to corner (really very sharp) and it is nearly free of optical distortions. It is one of the very greatest wide angle zooms ever produced.

• @tetakpatak Looks like an awesome lens. You'd have to use a matte box because no way can you put an ND filter on the front of that curved primary element. I'm thinking this with the (fabled) Metabones MFT adaptor would be a killer combination for the BMCC.

• The optical performance of this great lens will be difficult to match, but your idea is great and worth trying :-)

If you are already sure you will need ND, there already are some matte boxes especially designed for using filters on this lens