Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
steadicam and glideshots
  • what are the best Gop settings for steadicam and glider use?
  • 6 Replies sorted by
  • no +1 gives strobing fx in any movement! - i tried it out @ 62mbs and it was a laugh, but unusable for me!
    I have now GOP 6 @ 44mbs with 3 most to detail, enc.guru/birthdaypig Chris's settings - GRTZ
  • Here is a clip with the Sachtler Artemis and Glidetrack lightenend SD glider in the field:

there's is a lot of wobling because GH2 is actually to light for steadycam, especially with 7-14mm and lot's of wind. With heavy 2.8 superwide glass and adapter or the Sigma 8-16 zoom it works fine though.
    I use the tip of a toothpick to set f stop with lever because 8-16 is a digital lens without manual aperture ring.

The heavier and longer the camera and lensblock, the better tthe results are, except for your triceps...
  • @ishvar
    >no +1 gives strobing fx
    Sorry, by "+1" I meant "I'm another person who wants to know."

Your GOP settings look fine, at least as converted to flv.
    I love the technique and content shown in the video, especially the parallax effect which the moving camera gives to the closer objects against background, (sense of reality as good as 3D, I find),

I also find that I need material to be edited together with ambient sound or dialogue before I can appreciate its context. Your footage comes-off as POV vision, meaning the viewer expects the subject to be seen too at some point, walking through these places. If you were to also alternately cut to the talent, eg climbing to the top of steps, then looking about, the two takes would blend seamlessly.
    When people walk they wobble anyway, so what they are seeing through their eyes doesn't even need to appear as smooth as you've been able to get it. (The steadicam is easily adequately smooth through to excellent!) Arguably your steadicam could be even be preferably less smooth in order to rock a little along with the actor's steps! Personally, I'd like to hear the talent's voice too, speaking to another perhaps -even another voice-over on top of that.
    You have easily mastered the technique well enough to produce a good travelogue together with your existing equipment.
  • Just shot a bunch of stuff for a production with my glidecam 1000 HD. Used Kae's extreme 24 settings (3 gop) and it looks great. Can't post this footage (the proco owns it, not me) but I'll try to do some other tests once the hurricane passes and share those).