Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Monitor or EVF?
  • I'm new to HDSLR video, but not video production nor shooting. I've got a GH2 and am purchasing a Lanparte shoulder rig soon. Trying to decide if I should go with an EVF (DP4) or monitor (AC7) for focus/framing. The advantages of the EVF seem to be extra point of contact for stability and better viewing outside. For the monitor, I like the idea of seeing where I am going when handheld, run & gun on my own. Also Like the idea of using it when the camera s mounted to a slider or small jib.

Can't afford to do both.

Anyone willing to offer advice or their experiences?

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Well, the DP4 does both, so I would go for that personally.

• @Pino

4" is really too small for normal framing. Useful as EVF only.

I suggest to ask yourself that you need more.

• you could go for a EVF like DP4 and a cheep 7" monitor (see special deals) for framing only. It's also a matter of personal taste. Personally I dont like the DP4 too much, the display is too small as a monitor and too big as EVF, it's diffucult to keep the whole frame in sight

• EVF + very good 7" monitor is less than $600 actually.

• Vitaliy, any recommendations? Good focus assist is vital to me, as my eyesight is less than stellar as I age.

By the way, thank you for this forum. I've been a lurker for the past 6 months and the insights and opinions shared here have helped me as I transition back into the video world. I hope to be able to contribute overtime.

• I've been deciding on an evf and monitor recently as well, and I'd like to chime in with one of the benefits of using an evf that I don't think I've ever seen mentioned. For run and gun especially...the third point of contact adds additional stability in the shot. Just an observation.

• @Pino

Check Neway monitors, we have on deals new more affordable (but same panel and features) 7" monitor.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6767/neway-ct700ho-1280x800-ips-compact-monitor-with-same-features#Item_3

• What about the new Carryspeed LCD viewfinder v4 ? ITs less than U$ 199...

• I've been extremely happy with my Marshall v-lcd56md. Wouldn't trade it for anything in the world :)