Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Detachment, cinema movie - opinions
  • I just went to the cinema to see this movie. It is very impressive, artistic production and quite a masterpiece: picture, screenplay, sound- the story itself has also very strong message. Absolutely no mainstream product. Camera work of the best kind, the grading fantastic- OK, now I will stop with all these compliments, I don't want to promiss too much- it may be matter of taste as well. It is not a tight-budget production, although if compared to many cinema movies it seems to be of a low-budget kind.

Official website:
    http://www.detachment-film.com

Trailer:

Making of:

I hope some more people saw this movie and I am curious to read about different opinions. Anybody knows something more about the gear? Some of it is well visible in "making of".

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • I watched this a while back, great film, taps into your emotions. The Director Tony Kaye directed American History X, hes an interesting character.

• Big fan of Kaye's documentary he made between American History X and this movie, Lake of Fire. Some amazing B&W photography in that one and the subject matter is very heavy.

• I saw this movie about a month ago. Definitely was extremely amateur in many parts. I found it to be nothing special at all. Unless they told me it was made for less than a few hundred thousands dollars. It's not terrible. Just not great. The young ladies character is played well, and I'm a fan of Adrien Brody, but some parts caused me to think this was shot by a film student with a lot of daddies money. Turns out I'm wrong.

• @Stylz I think many scenes were done purposely to leave impression of a documentary look (like shaky handheld camera etc) but it was successful. Did that disturb you?

And Adrien Brody's casting was just gorgeous.

Tony Kaye seems to be successor of Krzysztof Kieślowski who was also able to create breathtaking movies even with less money. But it is not comparable with our time, as the prices in the former Eastern Europe were kind of unrealistically low in the time when this great film director was shooting.

• Yes, it took me out of the story in parts. Especially some of the night exteriors. Some looked like it was shot with a handy cam.