Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3: Rock Climbing in Yangshuo
  • This is a climbing video that I produced lately. Shot with Panasonic GH3, Lumix 12-35/2.8, 35-100/2.8. Edited with Premiere. Graded with MBL. Profile mostly -5 -5 -5 -5.

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • @liefeng

Great video. I like every bit of it. Not just the rock climbing part. It showed everything about the culture, tradition, and beauty of that country. It also had some great climbing footage.

How did you do the pans? There was one on the ground that looked like a slider. However, how did you do the rotating one above the climber. That looked really good. Were you just rotating on the rope? Were your feet against the rock?

Again great job. I am a sucker for a good climbing flick. And yours was definitely very good.

• wow! some eagle eyes out there. I was dangling on the rope with my right hand touching the rock face to keep balance, but not my feet were free. All footage was shot with panning, no slider was used. @mpgxsvcd

• @liefeng

Ok now I want to see a demonstration video of how you do the hand held panning because that is really good. What resolution and frame rate was this originally recorded at? What shutter speed? Again great job. I loved it.

• Thank you for your kind words. The rope was twisted slightly before shooting. When it unwound, there was a natural panning mechnism, with my hand touching the rock surface for control and balance. Most of the footage was shot at mov 50fps 1080p, some landscape shots at 24fps, shutter speed at double the fps generally. @mpgxsvcd