Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
[MOV] 1920x1080 50p 50Mbs and 25p 72Mbs plays smoothly..?
  • Hi all... after some months of thinking...i've buy yesterday the Panasonic GH3 primarely to make video. I've taken some movie shot sample in two of the different available format (AVCHD and MOV). I copied the files into my NetworkMedia Player (PopCornHour C200) and i tried to play. The result of the more high bitrates files (72Mbs and 50Mbs) was not so good.. the image are sometime jerky, not smooth.

I tried too into my Laptop... I have a Lenovo T410i O.S : W7 64bit Professional CPU : i5 RAM : 8 Gb GPU : NVIDIA 3100M HDD : OCZ Vertex II 128 GB

but the results are not so good too...

So my question is.. Is there anybody that has tried something similar...?and what are the results..?

I 'm thinking to update my Network Media Player or my Laptop...but i'd like to be sure that i'll have no more problems... May be with the new PopCornHour A400 (with a Sigma SMP8911 dual-core CPU) this files play smoothly.. but i do not like to spend money and having the same problems...

Thank you for sharing your experience here..

Have a good days.

windsurf.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • Hi Windsurf, unfortunately many of us are scratching our heads here too why something so basic like fluid motion is not easy to get....

I am also waiting for some guy to post the fix on what it is that makes the GH3 stutter / make jerky video....

Apparently the GH2 had the same problem Best

• Hi Pulse, thank you for your reply.. May be i could not explain my toughts.. (i'm not English mother tongue..).

I think the problem is not inside the file, but in the power of my Hardware.. I tried to play the same file with a Toshiba Z830 10R and it plays smoothly..without any problems..

I've send a test file to the moderator of the PopCornHour site and he could see the file smoothly with the new model the PCH A400... http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=66457 m64

• @windsurf

The problem is Quicktime on a PC. The performance is not good. The solution is to unwrap the h264 file from the MOV wrapper. I use ffmbc to do this. If you're interested, I can post the script.

• hi there guys, the problem is nothing to do with the container your file is wrapped in, it is the inability of these types of hard drive based media players such as WD Live and PCH etc to play any videos shot in 1080/50p or 60p mts/mov/mp4 without shimmering (jerkiness) especially in panning shots, because the hardware cant handle it.

unfortunately if you wish to retain shooting in 1080/50p or 60p then to play back those files on your big tv using those media players, you must convert them to 720/50p or 720/60p at high bitrate in either original MTS format, or wrap in the mov or mp4 container.

once they are 720/50p or 60p they will play in all those media players perfectly.

i shoot in 1080/50p with my panasonic camcorder, and i currently use VideoReDo to edit my 1080/50p MTS files and mux them back to MTS so they are not re-encoded.

i then use VideoReDo again to convert the edited MTS files down to 720/50p MTS using 12 to 15Mbps bitrate so i get a great quality 720/50p file, and this 720/50p file is also a bluray spec file, so i can burn it to bluray if i wanted to.

so, if you want to retain 1920x1080 resolution for shooting, and you want to play them on those media players, you need to shoot your videos in 25p (pal) or 30p (ntsc) mode as you have no choice.

ALSO remember nost newer model HD tv these days also have built in media players that you can plug a usb hdd into, and play your videos, BUT those TV also cannot play any 1080/50p or 60p videos either.

hope this helps

ALSO, video shot in 1080/50p or 60p will play back on your computer perfectly, and you CAN play those 1080/50p/60p videos perfectly onto your big HD tv if you actually use a computer based HTPC or your laptop/netbook connected via HDMI because the laptop or pc hardware is decoding the video ok for playback.

cheers

• @glenpinn

All you really need is just small nettop :-)

• @ Vitaliy_Kiselev

yes i just added the extra comments regarding use of a HTPC or netbook/notebook attached to the tv, and yes a Nettop is a better option than a laptop or HTPC as they are small and very compact, but can work out to be dearer to buy.

the problem with these laptops/htpc/nettop option are that they are a PC, and you need to run them on your big HD tv in the windows desktop environment first before you can play the video files.

some people just dont want to have the windows desktop on their tv and have to mess about loading up the videos in one of the media players from the desktop.

i dont need a nettop or hdd media player on my 50" samsung HD plasma tv because it has a built in media player with a usb port, and i plug my small usb powered laptop hdd into it, and the tv will play every type of video file except 1080/50p or 60p videos, only 1080/25p or 30p AND it plays 720/50p and 720/60p files ok.

Nettops are great if you want to use your tv for internet use as well.

EDIT: i am in the process of trying to find a new model hard drive based media player like PCH or western digital, that actually will now play 1080/50p and 60p video files, so if anyone does have success finding one, please let me know.

• Hi all, first of all thank you very much for your useful reply. I think that the problem in my situation is the MediaPlayer CPU Power: it is not enough to manage the high bitrate coming from a GH3 (MOV 1920x1080, 50 frames/second and 50 Mbit/second).

As i've already said i've send a test file to the administrator of the site of the PCH user (http://www.networkedmediatank.com) and he tries to play my file. He tell me he has no problem at all to play smoothly this test file using the new PopcornHour A400 (with the Sigma Designs SMP8911, 800MHz Dual-Core CPU w/ 512 KB L2 newer and more powerful CPU, than the old Sigma Designs SMP8643, 667MHz CPU inside my PCH C200).

He publish also on youtube the test he was doing (Chris says : "Here's a poor video for you. Shot from my phone but it shows you that it plays without any stutter problem. Ignore any colour flashes as that was down to my phone and look closely you'll see a light-shade at the top right ") http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I9dJZtLakNk

So i think that this new mediaplayer could play smoothly this high bitrate files produced by the GH3.. Ok it should be tested with other samples, but at least i could say that this file seem to be played fine.

@glenpinn 1) i know that most TV could not manage 50p or 60p, but i'm using a VPR (VideoProjector) that could play 60 frames per second progressive.

2) as i write before i think the new A400 model could be the right choice to play this high quality clips coming from GH3. I'm waiting the reply of Chris about another info (where was the file he was playing... in an internal HDD, in an external USB HDD, or in an external network connected HDD and what kind of HDD are he using...Normal one or SSD). As soon as i have the reply i'll inform you. I do not like if possible to record in high quality and then cutting down to lower bitrate in order to play on my old Hardware... As soon as i'll have some money to spend in this toys..i'll upgrade my C200..

Have a good day to all. windsurf