Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Flowmotion Hacked Gh2 as Primary camera in a 2 or 3 camera set up...
  • I currently have a Flowmotion 2.02 hacked GH2. I have to the money to get a second GH2 body or two Gh2 cameras with a basic 14-42 lens kit. The primary Gh2 will be used for all masters. With the secondary GH2 or GH1s used as reaction, close ups, or secondary shots, etc.

Without putting too much into grading/color correcting the videos the videos to match, would it be better to just go with a second GH2 and shoot everything twice, or just get two GH1s?

Also, if I went with the dual GH1 setup what hack would best match the GH2 Flowmotion 2.02 IQ?

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • I don't care for the 14-42 lens. In multicam I use GH2s as the main cams, but for everything else I use camcorders. Camcorders give me a lot of flexibility. GH1 IQ is great, so any way you go it is all gravy. I like to have HDMI out for my monitor, if that is an issue. Grading the GH2 can be tricky with other cams.

• @DrDave

The grading with other cams is what I am really worried about. I used two Canons on my last movie. They were okay, but the images were so far apart. In your estimation, how close is the GH1 to the GH2? How much work would I have to put in to match them?

• Get a second gh2. Its a better camera and will maintain some sort of resale value. Trust me, as someone who owns 4 gh2s, you rarely ever need more than 2. Flowmotion is a great patch, but you should also check out Moon if you are planning to do heavy grading.

14-42 is a meh lens. If you're doing dramatic work, you'd be far better to invest in canon fd primes -- fast, sharp, very cheap.

• GH2 has kind of weird color. You can use Macbeth chart matching to get the colors closer, but if you are really picky it is a problem. The GH1 and the GH2 are a tiny bit closer, but they don't look the same. If you take a color chart and your cameras, you can set the custom white balance to get them closer--I use two clicks towards magenta with "smooth" setting, other people add a touch of yellow. I also found out the hard way that the cinema setting adds some weird green under spotlights. So you might also consider the GH3.

As far as using only two cameras, I always use a minimum of six and I'm happy to run ten. Always makes the final product better. After all, you don't have to use the footage, two is a subset of six. But then the color matching is a huge pain.

• Here's a link to a shootout I did between the GH2 running Flow Motion v2.02, and the GH1 running the 100Mbps Max Latitude Patch:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?288468-100-Mbps-GH1-takes-on-GH2-in-both-24H-and-HBR-modes!

For daylight exposure, I matched the GH1 to the GH2 with the following Film Mode settings:

GH2 Daylight Settings

Film Mode Smooth

Contrast -2

Sharpness -2

Saturation -1

Noise Reduce -2

WB Sunlight

A-3

M-2

GH1 Daylight Settings

ISO -1/3rd stop slower than GH2

Film Mode Smooth

Contrast -2

Sharpness -2

Saturation -1

Noise Reduce -2

WB Sunlight

A-2

M-5

• Thank you. I will have to give these settings a whirl.

• I routinely use a GH1 with lpowell's 75mbps patch (close ups) and a gh2 with flomotion 2.02 (wide shot) for interviews - they cut together very well.

• Finding another GH2 is going to be tricky. Have been reading up on single camera vs multiple camera setups. The style I am writing (Action-Thriller) is more often single cam.

• @Mckinish I just learned that Samy's Camera has a few GH2's in stock. (That's weird, I ordered on today, and they said they had a few in stock, now I see they're "backordered" again as was the case yesterday. Hmm... )