Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Good Lens for learning film making
  • So I picked up a GH2 body recently but I am having a hard time deciding which lenses to pick up. My objective is to learn how to film. I have some books on cinematography and want to start putting myself to work.

I don't have any practical experience shooting video, so as much as I want to blow a couple thousand on a range of lenses I really just need to get something that I can use to start working on the basics.

I know the kit lenses aren't ideal for shooting serious video but would one of them be useful for a beginner in my situation? Or is it worth it to get a couple of primes instead?

I know the question is really subjective but I could use a little help.

Thanks!

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Whatever fits your exact budge I guess would be the best place to start.

Do you want a zoom or prime? Aperture control? Are you willing to buy an adapter to allow other lenses other than m4/3 to work with it?

I personally am a fan of Rokinon (35/85mm t1.5) lenses because they are affordable with pretty nice results, and if you was to drop or get stolen, you wouldn't be as suicidal as if it was a $3000 lens lol. Another affordable lens that I find gives a descent image is the Sigma 30mm 1.4 with a Variable ND filter. Both lenses I mentioned would require a m4/3 to canon adapter. Voightlander will also be highly suggested but then you are getting up in the $1000 range. As far as zoom lenses, somebody else will have to share advice, I'm having a hard time deciding on one myself right now.

Some will tell you that it doesn't matter what lens you use and it's more about how well you use the tools that you have. Although it's not a wrong answer, it's not the kind of answer you are expecting. If you REALLY are very new to this, just ease your way into it VS spending thousands of dollars to find out this isn't something you really want to do. The more you use the GH2 and get familiar with it, more than likely you will stay interested, and in no time, you will be able to charge people for your work, no 30 years experience necessary. Special thanks to Mr. Gates and Mr. Jobs and those that helped them along the way ; ) Modern technology and the blessings it provides for one to just "out of nowhere" decide to start making videos.

• I could spend around $1000 +/- a few hundred. I guess my main hang up is I don't want to spend that much up front if it will be wasted by me not knowing what I'm doing.

I don't really want a zoom but the Panasonic 14-140mm would cover all the focal lengths I would need to get started even if it wouldn't give me the same control as several primes covering the same range.

• To learn filmmaking, I'd get a Canon FD 35mm f/2.0 with an adaptor and use that for just about everything. Then you can spend your time learning about filmmaking and not worrying too much about the lens.

• @stonedog

yeah, putting a video together will not just happen on it's own. Research, experiment, & studying will only help to improve. The more you learn, the better the results, thanks to 1000's of hours of tutorial videos and online forums, you should have no problem figuring it out. All it takes is dedication. Don't second guess yourself if you think you have what it takes, even if it's nothing more than passion. If it isn't something you plan on making a career out of, just have fun with it. I used to make funny little edits 12 years ago that I still go back and watch every so often for a good laugh, and don't regret 1 second of ever becoming interested in making videos.

• I can recommend the canon fd 35mm f2.0 aswell. Its a very nice allround lens. Fast enough, still wide enough for most stuff, you can aswell try the canon fd 20mm f/2.8 which is a bit wider, but not as fast and kinda soft wide open. So the 35mm lens that douglashorn suggested is certainly a very good grab. The SSC version has a slightly warmer look, but also a slightly radioactive coating. People say its not an issue at all, but decide for yourself. The lens is certainly about the best buys and as good as you can get for that amount of money. You might also look at the Minoltas, they are excellent aswell and slightly cheaper.

• Generally, there are no hard rules, but there are some guidelines that might help you get started, again it might not be 100% applicable to your expectations since it all depends on what and how do you want to do, luckily it is the cheapest setup so you can always change your mind and try the other way. And these manual lenses only gain value, unlike camera bodies and other digital junk we buy.

Get two or three used manual focus lenses, from 20-50mm. I started off with 28mm and 50mm, and later filled the holes.

Canon FD, Nikon Ai/Ai-s, Minolta, Pentax, or some of the numerous m42 mount lenses, basically whatever you find that is in decent shape.

Decide on one of the brands depending on the availability, and get some (don't get the cheapest) lens adapter for your new lens set to micro 4/3.

Get some ND filters. Try to buy lenses that have the same filter thread size so you can fit the same filters onto all your lenses.

That will get you started, and you will save your money to buy something that you'll need along the way.

You might want to get a decent tripod, and/or a shoulder rig to help you achieve better results. Nothing screams amateur more than handheld landscape pans, or handheld shaky focus pulls.

There is a category with many topics on each of these items, so look around before you buy anything.

Have fun.

• Canon and Nikon lenses are not cheap. Minolta Rokkor lenses are excellent but much cheaper. You can find on ebay Rokkors 28mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.7 together for $60.

Our p-v mate nomad has written great article about vintage Minolta lenses recently, check here: http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/camera-usage/minolta-rokkor-lenses-faq

• Thanks everyone for your input. When I have some time this weekend I'll start looking for a couple of cheap manual focus lenses to get started.

• i have bought the rokinon series cinema lens exept for the 8mm. They are grate for the price, performance is incredible, and about the breathing, its ok.

New glass design is better then old one like nikon AI-S or canon FD. If you want carachter, then choose old lenses, or proper cinema lens. YOu want performance choose rokinon, then on post make it shine.

• But again, without getting too bogged down in details, my advice would be, start with ONE decent, middle-of-the-road lens and don't worry too much about other gear. (A cheap but serviceable tripod would be the only other thing.) Then use that stuff to make films. Because that's how you learn filmmaking. (Well, that and reading my blog: http://douglashorn.com )