Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cleaning old lenses
  • How can I clean the my lens glass oil and fungus?

• 32 Replies sorted by
  • If you can get in there and clean them yourself you'll find, the fungus has usually eaten away at the lens coatings, so depending how much you love that lens, you may not want to go there.

Cleaning a lens is a very complicated thing to do if you've never seen it done before.

Primes are simpler than zooms. There is often a central cluster of elements with a fixed front element and a rear element, if the fungus is in-between, it might not be that tough to get to and clean.

Nikkor AIS fit that description and you can forget about taking the central cluster apart yourself.

Sometimes there are 2 elements glued together and the glue yellows with age (or exposure to heat) or fungus grows from the outside to the inside on the glue.

I've had this happen on an old Leica M lens and I was able to buy just the affected front element from a dealer in the USA. A Swiss dealer told me parts for the old lenses aren't available. The US price was good so I didn't bother to look in Germany where the lens was made. The Leica LTM mount lenses are simpler than the Japanese lenses. I googled and found some pages of a book on Amazon that were viewable on the internet and it was enough to let me clean the focusing mechanism on my Leica LTM lenses, however they a re a really simple 1930's design. The front element I had replaced by a lens tech.

Specifically getting it back together so that is focuses properly is an even greater challenge than taking it apart and usually left up to a professional lens service. Your local photo shop maybe able to point you where to go or you could try some of the bigger lens services that have an internet presence like Duclos or Whitehouse A/V in California Visual Pursuit in Ohio, The photo district (many stores and techs in NYC) as wells as some good ones in the UK.

You could always buy a junk lens of the same type off ebay, take it apart and learn how it goes back together. A spanner wrench and good set of precision jewelers' screwdrivers are needed (not the junk ones for $3 at your local hardware store)

Any professional rental house or shop selling lenses has a lens tech working for them somewhere, and if you can go to them directly then you can save some money. If you ask around and see an old man in the back with a bench neatly maintained with lots of little screw drivers and bottles of fluid, take a lens to him: the old timers are usually good and may not be too pricey. I can recommend a great Inventor/Camera Repair/Lens Repair Technician in Switzerland if you want. I wouldn't recommend it if you weren't nearby, since Switzerland is not in the EU (customs & insurance issues).

• @CFreak Thank you very much for the detailed your answer... . I wonder Is it safe for a simple blade and internal glass cleaning by Isopropyl alcohol?

• Another great service is in the EU, in Braunschweig, called " Classic Fototechnik".

• @simurg

What lens do you need to clean?

I have gotten into servicing my own vintage lenses due to there being no shop that can do it in any reasonable vicinity. Some are easy. Some are extremely tricky (not recommended).

If you have never done it, but really want to get into working on your own lenses-> get a flektogon 35mm mc in bad condition and service it. It´s an easy lens to start with and you can get a hang of the basic functions you need to understand for each separate lens.

• @simurg the iris blades are extremely fragile, handle with care! Disclosure: I only once took a lens apart, but, watched a pro (a friend) do it many times.

Where are you located?

Some fluids can be corrosive and remove the coatings on the lens (those coatings are fragile!). Isopropyl alcohol can remove paint and there are 2 types 70% and 99%, I believe. I think you generally want 99% or the purest you can get, but you had better get a better recommendation that what my vague memory remembers at this point. I've also seen lighter fluid used, but, can't recall if it was on optics... or maybe it was lighter fluid on optics and iso alcohol on everything else. I don't know for sure.

Someone else should chime in here or you should do some googling.

@RRRR would like to hear more about what types of lenses you have been able to work on and what your resources for info are.

My lens tech friend showed me how to de-click a Nikkor AIS lens, but, I have yet to do one myself. I have recently moved and don't have a good work bench yet.

He had to use some adhesive remover on the 6 or 8 tiny screw on the rear mount to get them loose. Yes, nikon glued their screws in place. Today loc-tite is used instead.

• Fungus, if you can get it apart, bleach and ultrasonic cleaner ... warnings as per others

• As Others have said it depends what lens you want to clean.

I cleaned an older Nikkor 85mm F2 AIS which had a bit of fungus around the edge of the front element. Worked a treat and the fungus had been in there for years and was bugging me.

I also Repaired 3 Nikkor 55mm f2.8 AIS Micro lens that were getting binned from work. It was impossible to focus them as the grease had dried up found a nice tutorial on line step by step now they all work fine.

The one Other Lens that was getting binned And I am stuck Fixing is a nikkor 105mm f2.8 AIS. Again dry grease and don't have a clue with this one.

So Just because you can repair one lens does not mean they are all the same.

Did destroy a nikkor 70-200mm lens it was a newer auto focus forget which, but be warned its not for the faint hearted lens repair

Craig R

• For fungus you can also use germicidal UV lamps or sunlight to kill it if it's on internal layers that you can't get to. However, as others have mentioned, if the fungus has eaten the coating or the glass, there is nothing you can do, the glass is bad. When I used to repair cameras, I used pure acetone for the glass or anodized aluminum parts. It evaporates completely unlike alcohols. If you still see a haze on the glass, then you haven't cleaned enough! DO NOT use acetone on any plastics. Even Cooke optics uses acetone to clean their glass.

• @CFreak the easiest thing, and highly necessary for most repairs (unless you know the design type well) is to find a guide online for a specific lens. You have to do a bit of research and make up your own mind wether you want to go ahead.

Flektogon 35mm mc are notoriously easy to service + they have an easily accessible helicoid that still has a similar design like many other vintage lenses = a good place to start for understanding how to disassemble and reassemble helicoids.

I did a full service on a meyer optik 135mm f2.8 that had a stuck aperture blade. It took a while, in particular the helicoid was a bitch to put together since I did not take enough care during disassembly.

I would not go into something too complicated as I don´t have any proper "shop" to work in, nor do I have all the proper tools, like wrenches for retaining rings. (I use calipers instead = a bit risky).

• @RRRR Yep calipers thats what I used on my Nikkor 85mm And Risky is the word. But I would of just binned the lens anyway if I could not have cleaned it. So I had nothing to loose

• @RRRR, the meyer optik would definitely be a lens worth taking time to service! Love that bokeh monster..

On that note, if you do need cheap lenses for test diy take aparts, try searching for old 135mm f2.8 lenses (many brands to choose from)...there's many on ebay that don't even sell for cost of shipping!
    I bought a no-name Sonagar 135mm f2.8 because it had 10 aperture blades, but they were super oily and when I took the lens apart, found one of the blades was bent which threw the rest out of wack, and so now I use the lens without any blades! (super soft, but wonderful bokeh, best not in sun).

• Thanks for all gentle answers...

@RRRR I want to clean Canon FD 50mm 1.2 SSD and Vivitar FD 28mm f:2 (Fungus, oil and locked blades)

@svart Is it harmful acetone for coatings? What do you suggest for oily locked blades?

• @simurg The acetone should not be harmful for real coatings, as those coatings are hardened chemicals bonded with the glass.. That's not to say that there aren't cheap lenses with some kind of sprayed on coatings that aren't fully bonded with the glass and might come off with acetone.

With that said, I have to reiterate that using acetone is great for cleaning the glass itself and the anodized aluminum parts, HOWEVER, you MUST make sure that it does not come in contact with any PAINTED surfaces, plastics or rubbers. I also only really use acetone for cleaning the lens elements themselves before reassembly. Once reassembled, I'll just use ordinary lens cleaner (usually iso-propanol) on the outer lenses. Even then, use canned air to blow any possible dust off the lens before you wipe anything on the lens! You never know when that piece of dust is actually a piece of dirt or something that can scratch your lens! Always use a new cotton ball or cleaning wipe on EVERY swipe. Once that ball has gone across the surface, it's contaminated with oil and every swipe will only smear what you picked up the wipe prior. Cotton balls are cheap, so are solvents. Cleaning glass properly can take minutes to hours per element, especially if the glass has oil on it.

The blades in older lenses are usually black anodized aluminum, as are the housings for the blades and such. If you can get the assembly out and remove the glass, you can soak the aperture assembly in pure acetone and rinse it out with clean acetone. I've also used automotive brake cleaner for these things but it can leave a residue. Just make sure that there are NO particles of grease left anywhere or it'll continue to migrate and stick the blades or get all over the glass. Try washing the assembly out before you dis-assemble if possible. Those assemblies are a real pain in the ass to put back together if you are trying to figure it out without an example or instructions.

I'd also use clean latex/nitrile gloves without the powder, you can get these at automotive parts stores too. Whatever solvent you use can actually wick the oils from your fingers into your cotton balls/towels and get grease on your lens making it harder to clean.

If you decide you'd rather use alcohol to clean the glass, make sure it's the purest alcohol you can get, preferably Iso-propanol. Other alcohols have too much water in them or, like ethanol, are hydroscopic and will absorb water from the atmosphere and cause smearing. Almost all alcohols will leave a slight residue, though.

On plastics, I might go a different route. I'll use an industrial degreaser (like Greased Lightning or others) and wash them with a toothbrush and clean water. To dry, I use canned air to blow the water off. Be careful though, you might still have residue because surfactants(the active part of degreasers) don't work as well as solvents. Don't let the parts air dry or else you'll have a lot of residue on them. Also, use gloves here too, mainly because the degreasers will dry the hell out of your hands and can actually cause your skin to shrink and crack if you let too much get on your skin! I know from experience!

• Those were the words of an expert, @svart thank you for explaining how to do it.

I know for myself: I won't even try to take apart the lens to clean it on my own, I will just send it to someone with skills and experience, into photo service :-)

• How can I remove a lens's coating?

• @balazer For which reason should one do it? It would cause tons of flare and ghosting.....

• Removing the coating from just one element surface will not have much of an impact. I have a coating in bad condition, and a neutral density spot filter that I want to remove.

• @svart thank you very much this detailed technical infos.

@balazer I've tried/tested cellulosic thinner for coatings. Glass was more transparent. But attention! For your hand-skin and other lens parts. Solvents is carcinogenic!! And you can get drunk!

Please watch it for smile and learn moree:

• I used to read allot about cleaning lenses, and have also done it a bit myself, definitely some are very very tricky, but also some are very very easy.

Most people on the lens forums recommend NAPTHA (Lighter Fluid). Reasoning is that it evaporates very quick and leaves no residue behind. Most cleaning agents leave a bit of residue no matter how unseen it may be. I can say that one a few lenses I had with minimal mold the naptha took it off instantly, and also took care of some oily blades. Initially it did too good of a job on the blades and they dragged, but after simply opening and closing the iris 20 times or so it seems that a bit of oil worked it's way back to where it is supposed to be, and it works better than ever. Just my NON professional experience. I have more lenses sitting waiting for me to learn more than lenses I have had success with. Taking photos as you go is very useful as well as marking things. I use POSCA paint markers, because they are trashed lenses, and if I am successful I can always go clean off the paint dots later.

• @mee is this what you meant? (Naphtha)

IMG_20130301_124456.JPG
    700 x 1119 - 168K
  • @Mee, Yeah I've read about naptha but never tried it myself. I don't see why it wouldn't work just as good as anything else.

Also, I forgot to mention that I would refrain from washing bright aluminum helicals (aluminum without a coating like anodizing or paint) in degreaser and water because it can cause it to oxidize faster than air alone, and you might have dragging issues. I would use solvents for this and minimize the amount of time the aluminum is exposed to air without some kind of grease on it.

• @tetakpatak, yes. Spelling is not always my strong point.

• Laughed my a%% off! That's not the correct way to clean a lens!

1st get yourself some proper tools: http://www.ebay.com/sch/Cameras-Photo-/625/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lens+tool Don't use a pair of scissors, did you notice the bandaid on his thumb?

When you're done, you might want to check your lens on a collimator...