Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Zeiss Cinemizer OLED HDMI
  • Googles with HDMI input

http://cinemizer.zeiss.com/cinemizer-oled/en_de/product-information.html

A friend has the non-OLED non-HDMI version. That one has a mini USB port for charging and firmware update, so possibly this one has it too. It would be nice if the firmware could be modified to e.g. show video in one eye, and a waveform or something in the other.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • A good review here with a camera setup:-

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/home-entertainment/hands-reviews/hands-review-zeiss-cinemizer-oled-multimedia-video-glasses

I'm really tempted to try out one of these with the GH3... really tempted... should I ... try/buy?

or the newer Sony HMZ T2

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/personal-3d-viewer/hmz-t2/features#tab

Anyone used any of these?

• The Zeiss Field of View = 30°, 870 x 500 pixels on each display (100% fill factor)/1080p.

• The Sony T2 Field of View = 45°, 720p overall.

Zeiss state theirs simulates a 40" screen, the Sony apparently simulates a 150" inch screen at 12ft!

More info about this subject at http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3933/viewfinder-glasses-goggles/p1

• I wrote a review in German for a magazine, PM if interested.

• @nomad have u used this as a viewfinder? Can you sum-up your thought about it plz ? :-)

• Well, apart from the Full-HD ST1080 by Silicon Micro Display, which seems more like vaporware, this is the best one to be used as a viewfinder right now. The Sony is far too heavy and covers the view too much; all others need a computer to be run. Google's "Project Glass" has not yet been available for testing. Those with analog video only are old school anyway.

The image quality of the new Zeiss is far better than the last one, which I consider unusable as a VF. The Cinemizer weighs only 120 grams and the controller with the battery another 90 grams, you can carry it without any neck problems for quite a while. It leaves enough look around area not to run into things when filming (which makes it less immersive for viewing in public, OTOH). It has only 870 x 500 pixels, but the lenses are very good (as you may expect from Zeiss), it's sharp into the corners, while the Sony always stays a bit soft in the edges.

It's quite OK for framing and even limited control of focus. Since it's most useful for a moving camera, you may not aim at very narrow DOF anyway. Some edge enhancement would help, though. Colors are a bit on the warm side, but contrast is impressive – well, it's OLED after all. The image can't be flipped for very low positions with a hanging camera, but I suggested this to Zeiss for future upgrades.

It sits quite well on your ears and doesn't fall down when looking downwards. The material is quite hard, though, and it hurts a bit behind the ears after longer periods of use. The Sony, OTOH, can cause real headache after a while. Digital signals via HDMI need more power, it will last about 2.5 hours (analog will last up to 6). Unfortunately the battery can only be charged inside the box, but at least it's not glued in, only held by screws. You may be able to tinker with a replacement. Charging is done via USB.

Verdict: It's actually better as a viewfinder than as an immersive 3D viewing device!

Kamera_im_Wald.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 3M
  • thank you very much! In practical use, it might be dangerous (for me) with a steadycam or (for others) using a jib... but still, it's very tempting! I'll be unable to resist to a monocle version :-)

• @nomad

In your opinion, what is better for focus puller, the cinemizer or a 7" monitor? Thank you.

• A 7" HD monitor for sure!

The Cinemizer is more about framing when you're on your own.

• Thank you Nomad, i think i'll take one, i'm often one man band :-)