Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Histogram
  • Hello everybody! I'm totally freakout with my gh2 histogram! whatever I expose with it, when I hit record the histogram is cuting whites and blacks at the same time. It appears that doesn't affect my final exposition but it is totally weird. Even when the image is not cliping at all when I hit rec an small portion up and down of histogram is cuted and when hit again to stop the whole histrogram recover the amplitud. Does anybody notice this, and how to fix it? Thanks a lot

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Don't freak out - it's normal. The histogram is showing that the camera is recording in the range 16-235 (studio swing). When the camera is in standby, the signal is 0-255 (full swing). Basically, just ignore it. Your pictures will be fine.

• Thanks Ralph! That is what I was thinking, because the pictures never show any cut, but thanks a lot for confirm that! I'm coming from waveform and the histogram is always for me a little bit confusing.... Could you tell me some advise to expose right with it? Normaly I try stay in the middle and keep whites close to clip distance but safes, and then keep an eye to the blacks. If there's time use puntual meter to check each zone, of course! I think that gh2 moves around 7 stops, do you think is is right? Thanks for your help!

• You're approach sounds good. The only thing I've noticed concerns the viewfinder/LCD screen, not the histogram. Frequently the actual footage shows more detail in the highlights than the LCD shows. In other words, you might think the whites are clipping based on the LCD screen, but they're really not.

• Yes, you are totally right, when you use more or less the whole DR, that lcd gives you a cliped view of the frame, that's why I'm starting to trust in my zebras and histogram and forgeting about lcd/wievfinder, just for frame. This is why I'm looking forward to make my own test to find the true DR of Gh2. The zebras give you a not detail in whites in 3 stops from V zone, but I'm not sure about blacks but think will be more or less the same. Just trying get the most of my gh2 without pseudo log curve, thechnicolor etc....