Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
XLR cables topic
  • My setup is real simple: EM320E microphone (I love it, but may also add NTG2 or NTG3) in a Rode blimp on a 3 meter Rode boom-pole going directly into Zoom H1. The question is: which XLR cable would be best bang for the buck? Which one is best in terms of cost/performance ratio?

A friend (sound recordist) recommended Klotz MC5000 xlr cables http://shop.klotz-ais.com/cgi-bin/quickorder/lshop.cgi?action=showdetail&artnum=M5_&wkid=2004g&ls=e so I thought to get a 3m gold-plated version of that, but they seem to exist only in XLR-to-XLR configuration. This would mean that I would need to get an additional XLR-to-3.5mm adapter, but I was told that the more connections there are the more is the loss of sound quality.

Then another another alternative would be something like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170332397463 Neutrik XLR to 3.5mm

Yet another question would be regarding "balanced" vs "double screened" ... the Klotz MC5000, for example, doesn't seem to be "balanced", but "double shielded" etc.

So which cable would you folks recommend for recording cinematic dialogues, ADR, Foley sound etc?

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • @kronstadt

I would recommend these chappies: http://proleads.co.uk/shop/

I'd had 50+ leads made up from them at various quality and they are good at specials.

• @andyharris thanks, actually the ebay link that I posted is from their ebay store.

• Buy a soldering iron on ebay and roll-your-own, the results will surpass anything you can buy pre-made for a fraction of the cost. I buy my cable stock and connectors (Neutrik and generally Canare quad but sometimes Mogami) from Markertek, there are cheaper places but they usually have everything in stock and ship really fast. If I was really in a rush I would buy a pre-made cable from Markertek or Professional Sound Services in NY.

There must be places to buy these things in the UK, I'm pretty sure Neutrik is made in the EU.

• I agree completely with @halimecondor, except I use Mogami quad and occasionally canare

• It is always good to remember that most people won't be buying connectors and solder cables :-)

• +1 Neutrik Connectors and Canare L-4E6S Star Quad Microphone Cable (or the smaller diameter Canare L-4E5C Miniature Star-Quad Audio Cable). Markertek in the US usually has the best prices. These are the standard on US motion picture productions.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev This is for those that will choose to make them. For the others, Markertek is still a great option for pre-made cables.

• Additional connectors will have minimal affect on audio signal quality loss. What it will introduce is more possible points of intermittent or catastrophic failure. "It's rarely the big expensive console that takes down a concert. It's usually just a bad $2 cable tip."

• You don't need an XLR cable if the mic isn't balanced; your mic isn't balanced.

As for "best bang for buck" cables, if you're going to worry about performance issues that are only perceptible at the the quantum level - we're talking about 3m of cable here, i.e. you're not going to hear jack shit of difference between a $0.50 or $5K cable - I would worry more about the devices your cable is plugged into: That mic and preamp are definitely going to degrade the quality of the source you're capturing. Getting your hands on one of the rode mics you mention would be a great start.

• Revisiting this, Mogami 2893 is my recommendation, followed by the Canare L-4E5C. These are two quality cables with thin diameter. They are the only two I am aware of that pass through the centre of the Rode Boom Pole. You will be hard pressed to find a pre-made cable made from either of these two cables, at anything other than an expensive price.

My source for Mogami is: http://www.redco.com/ it's cheap there and you can buy it by the metre/foot

• @kavadni - It's been many years since I last worked with Mogami mic cable, are they still using a spiral wrap shield? It's excellent wire otherwise but that spiral shield is the weak link, eapecially for cables in non-fixed duty. I switched to Canare for its superior braided shield, and am still using mic cables I terminated decades ago while none of the Mogami cables from the same period survived.

• @shaveblog - Yes it is a simple spiral wrap. I agree it's it's not as durable. It is a bit more flexible - easier to handle - less memory. If I am rolling out cables in a transportable sound reinforcement environment I would use the canare. I personally have never had either fail in normal use - but I am retentive in the way I care for gear.

Incidentally, all my looms are canare.

@kronstadt. Something that hasn't been mentioned, no matter what brand you elect, make sure you use a quad cable, there is an audible difference in noise levels.

• You can't go wrong with Canare, a lot of the pros use this cable. If you get the quad cable, it has very good shielding. I don't use Mogami. I have some Canare that is at least 20 years old as well. However, IMHO the two best cables are the Gotham and the Belden digital installation, so Gotham GAC 4 analog, and Belden Digital (AES). Now the AES is not designed for audio, so if you are nervous about copper wire somehow being different from copper wire, go with the Gotham GAC 4. If you don't want the Quad cable go with the regular Gotham which has a ton of shielding anyway. Shielding is a big topic, and 20 years ago there were walkie-talkies, radios and EM hum. Now you have all kinds of junk in the air, and some kinds of shielding work better than others. The Gotham has both main types, so it is kind of a unique product.

Mogami: seems to brighten the sound a bit, but if it exists, it is subtle. I had some and tossed it. It was well made, however.

Noise: assuming you have no interference, quad cable is not quieter. In fact, the less cables, the better the sound; more cables=more resistance. That's why Gotham GAC 4 is such a good product, because you get the specs of regular cable in quad. If you aren't running 100 meters, you won't hear the difference. Seriously. But if you lay the cable on a transformer, you may get better sound with quad. Or you can do what I do and move the cable. Hook the cable up to a Benchmark preamp (best for EM rejection) and your noise issues will usually disappear even if you are recording inside a radio or TV station, which is a pretty common place to record.

Gold plating: this is real BS of course. Only use if all your other connectors are gold. Don't hook up gold to silver, etc. There is zero difference in the sound. If your mic has gold pins, you may as well spend the one dollar more for neutrik gold. If they are silver, gold on silver can create an electrical current, which is minuscule but you don't want it. Putting two different metals together is called a battery.

Redco has a handy online cable fab menu where you can design your cable and connectors. They have taken the pain out of cable assembly. Finally. Yay. So you can just pick whatever fittings you want. The new Neutrik right angled XLRs are cool if you need right angle, otherwise go with the new Neutrik slim XLR. Small, light and solid. http://www.redco.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=126&cat=Design+Your+Own+Custom+Cable

Loss of sound quality from the connectors: that is total BS unless of course they are using 50 cent parts, cheap solder, etc. You may lose a tiny bit of the shielding from stacking connectors but I have never had an issue with that even in extreme conditions. You might think that a tiny connector is more easily bumped, but wiggle an XLR hooked up to a mixer or preamp--it is loose. Locking XLRs are better, but they are a pain to work with.

Klotz cable: might be good, might not. I have never seen anyone with a Klotz cable. Do they make their own wire, in a foundry, or is it sourced from somewhere else? It isn't cheap, that's for sure.

You can read about Gotham here: http://www.gothamaudiousa.com/analog.htm

But just suppose you want a perfectly wired cable by a master solderer. Like a work of art. Then you want this guy: http://www.renoaudiotrade.com/About/about_us.htm

I opened up one of his cables and they were not only wired correctly, but they were perfect. The new Neutrik connectors are very good. I could not solder them better if I spent the whole day, and I doubt if a big company could match his quality. I don't solder my cables any more, I just have him do it. I still make my own network cables.

• @kavadni re:mogami

This is the whole reason I have a couple of mogami cables, I do work in the arctic and while I rarely run a cable when its sub zero it has come up a couple times, the foil-wrap is a little more flexible.

• having owned about a hundred different xlr cables over the years in the studio, I just buy these now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-12-COLORED-Microphone-Cables-Mic-Mike-GLS-AUDIO-6P12-/390478385026?pt=US_Cables_Snakes_Interconnects&hash=item5aea534f82

They aren't especially high quality but their connectors are almost identical neutrik knock-offs and the cable is really flexible and they are cheap. I like the colors because you can tell them apart when there are piles of cables laying about in a studio.

I have belden, mogami, canare and other cables and they are all great cables but they all tend to have the same drawbacks of eventually breaking or twisting in their jackets. The solder joints used to be the main point of failure but the newer neutrik and switchcraft connectors(and the knockoffs) now have insulation gripping claws that keep the stress off the solder joints so my newer cables don't fail nearly as much.

Be careful about how you roll your cables up and always use the connector body to push and pull and you'll be able to use cheaper cables without issues.

• These aren't quad cables, however. If you are working in an environment where you may have electrical interference, quad is part of the mix. So instead of "noise free" maybe they should write "can hum like substation" on the cables.

• Honestly, I've not found a big difference between the performance of quad and dual XLR in real life and the science behind "quad balanced" systems is dubious at best. Ever since I started designing transmission line systems, I've yet to see quad balanced anything in the real world. Coax and twisted pair rule the world. What IS important in EMI/RFI ingress situations is that the shield have 100% coverage, be low impedance and the ground systems designed correctly, which in pro-audio, it's usually not. In most serious transmission line systems, the shields are usually woven or are solid. Canare usually uses woven shields which is generally a step above in EMI rejection, which is where most of their "performance" comes from.

• What about Van damme Classic XKE microphone cables. Has anyone heard of them? Any good?