Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Vector Video in 5 years?
  • Check out this article. If this really does happen it seems to me that the implications for digital video would be huge.

The new codec (a program that encodes or decodes a digital video stream) is reportedly capable of filling in the boundaries between the elements in vector images. No details have been released regarding how the process works. The result, however, is moving vector-based video that is said to be equal in quality to bitmap video.

“This is a significant breakthrough which will revolutionize the way visual media is produced,” said Prof. Phil Willis, of the university’s Department of Computer Science.

The codec was developed in partnership with tech firms Root6 Technology, Smoke & Mirrors and Ovation Data Services. Commercial partners are now being sought to develop the technology further.

http://www.gizmag.com/vector-video-codec/25481/

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Seems very far from reality. And I see no actual details provided.

You can check history of so called "fractal compression" that made same claims for stills.

• Yeah "reportedly capable of filling in the boundaries between the elements in vector images" seems like a massive step between the concept and the actuality.

• It seems totally conceivable to me that this could get done:

• I have suspected for some that there is already some vector - localised enhancement taking place in Panasonic TVs (more like embellishment of skin-tones via a vector-reading of screen areas);
    • The Commodore Amiga of 1990 already had several, lightning-fast chips (like the Copper) which could produce a metallic-look gradient upon command. Its Fat Agnus chip could do HAM (hold And Modify) mode whereby a lo-res image became up-res by instant calculation of in-between gradients where no pixels existed. The Blitter chip drew lines and filled polygons. Fully vectorising simple shapes are just one more step away. Vectorising whole images is a quantum-leap which today's GPU technology is likely to be able to process.
    • Like a reworked Adobe Streamline (Bitmap>Vector conversion) on steroids.

I have been expecting this kind of announcement for years. I'm looking forward to hearing more!