Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Is there some sort of database for the available hacks?
  • Hi, There are so many hacks or patches and so many versions that it's so confusing. The only one I have tried is flowmotion. It's nice but I have seen so many videos made with driftwood that look much sharper and overall nicer. But there are so many driftwood hacks too. Is there a database that says for which situations each hack is recommended? I saw somewhere for example that there are driftwood hacks for night, day, skin, landscape and so on. But not which ones are for what. Google doesn't help. Just brings a thousand topics about driftwood in general, but nothing specific. Where can I find this info and also about other hacks? Thank you.

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • @Sttras, I think this is the closest to it (at least that I know of) funny enough Driftwoods Canis Majoris NIGHT or CM NIGHT for short is not on the list, but I think that hack is self explanatory. There is also a CM day.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/953/gh2-settings-vault-most-popular-settings-in-one-place-quite-old/p2

• Thank you. That thread seems to be a bit old. I wonder if the info is up to date? I'm mainly looking for the sharpest hack to shoot wide establishing shots during the day, such as buildings and city shots, a good hack to shoot skins and another good one to shoot night externals.

• All of the hacks are sharp. A stock GH2 is sharp. If you saw something that didn't look sharp, it wasn't the fault of the hack.

• I've spent the last few weeks of spare time comparing many of the different hacks...using two side-by-side GH2's and my Nikon D800 as a new alternative.

I've enjoyed using the GH2's since I traded in my old GH1's...but the personal conclusions I've come to over the last couple weeks are:

1) There's not that much difference between the dozen or so different (newish) hacks that I tested...all more or less had lots of noise and banding in clear blue sky (it's summer here so clear blue skies every day for consistent testing)...even when the Menu parameters were setup to minimize this as much as possible.

2)The scenes taken at the same time with the Nikon D800 (with and without Ninja2) consistently showed MUCH less noise and very little (usually no) banding.

3) I am particularly impressed by the image quality of the D800 + Ninja2...much nicer than the equivalent scenes out of any GH2 hack that I tested. Also the high bit rate Prores out of the Ninja2 holds up much better after Bluray output in Edius 6 (rendering from the timeline always accentuates 8 bit color banding limitations in the GH2 and the Nikon internal/native codec).

4) I am selling my GH2's and using the D800 until I test out the GH3 and the Blackmagic Cinema Camera. After being disappointed with my Canon 5D2 (one year use) and a few tests with the Canon 5D3 I am pleasantly surprised and impressed with the D800's video output (both internal codec and HDMI output). What little artifacts there occasionally arise are much less of an issue to me than the noise and color banding of the GH2...I mainly shoot documentary/wildlife and underwater (where mid water color banding is a constant issue with the GH2...(although the higher noise of MJPEG helps reduce this relative to AVCHD).

As far as I'm personally concerned a data base of GH2 hacks is now a thing of historical interest...

• @GH2UW

Seems like D800 promotion :-)

About "database", you can check

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/categories/hack-top-settings

And FAQ on top.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions