Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
The Zero Adverse affects hack thread
  • Edit: I have added the key to the table below. Are the differences apparent now that you know what settings were used for each picture?

This thread is dedicated to talk about the highest bit rate hack with no adverse affects. To qualify for this the hack must not cause any perceived quality loss at the beginning of the files. It also must be completely stable with all Class 10 memory cards.

So far the highest settings that I have been able to get to achieve this are setting the Video Bit rate FSH/SH and 24H to 32000000. No other changes are made to the settings.

I have settled on an extra two changes that also enable class 6 cards to work with the hack. That entails setting the Video Bitrate FH/H and 24L to 25000000. These extra settings allow you to switch to 1080p,1080i, or 720p Low and record stable video with Class 6 cards like the Eye-Fi wireless card.

I have also attached several images that demonstrate the differences between recording at the standard firmware bit rates and the hacked firmware bit rates. I have included samples from the default firmware, the 32 mb/sec settings, the 42 mb/sec settings, the 42 mb/sec 3 and 6 GOP settings, the standard bit rate MJPEG, and 166+ mb/sec MJPEG settings.

I have named each of the files with a number 1 through 20. There are 1080p @ 24 FPS, 1080i, and 720p High samples from each of the settings listed above. There are also samples from the low settings for each format from the default firmware and the default firmware with 1080p 3 GOP and 6 GOP for 720p and 1080i settings.

The question is can you determine what settings were used with each one of these pictures?

Just copy the list below and put the picture numbers 1 through 20 beside each entry you think is correct. I will post the sample videos to vimeo and post the stream parser grabs if someone can correctly identify each one of the pictures.

Default 1080p High = 3
    Default 1080p Low = 2
    Default 720p High = 20
    Default 720p Low = 18
    Default 1080i High = 11
    Default 1080i Low = 7
    32 mb/sec 1080p High = 4
    32 mb/sec 720p High = 15
    32 mb/sec 1080i High = 8
    42 mb/sec 1080p High = 1
    42 mb/sec 720p High = 14
    42 mb/sec 1080i High = 9
    3 GOP 42 mb/sec 1080p High = 5
    3 GOP Default 1080p Low = 6
    6 GOP 42 mb/sec 720p High = 13
    6 GOP Default 720p Low = 17
    6 GOP 42 mb/sec 1080i High = 10
    6 GOP Default 1080i Low = 12
    Default 720p MJPEG = 16
    166+ mb/sec MJPEG = 19

I have included the 4 settings files for these tests. Each sample was recorded with the GH2 on a tripod with constant video light illuminating the subject. The lens was a manual focus 55mm F1.2 Canon FD lens. The focus and aperture were not changed at all between shots. I simply pulled the memory card out and replaced it with the new firmware. I was able to apply the new firmware even with the manual focus lens on the camera.

The ISO was fixed at ISO 3200 because my other testing has shown that the bit rate of the video is directly related to ISO of the video. The shutter speed was 1/800 of a second.

The 1080i samples have distinct interlaced artifacts because VLC does a progressive scan screen capture without applying deinterlacing. If anyone knows how to take a deinterlaced screen cap with VLC I would love to know about how to do it.
    1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    2.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    3.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    4.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    5.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M
    6.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    7.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    8.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    9.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    10.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    11.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    12.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    13.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    14.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    15.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    16.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    17.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    18.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    19.png
    1280 x 720 - 2M
    20.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    GH2 Firmware.zip
  • 18 Replies sorted by
  • @mpgxsvcd

Can you, please, use Stable or Extreme topic?

• @Vitaliy

I thought you said those topics were specifically for settings that were just Stable(Meaning no write errors) and for extreme bit rate(meaning higher than 42 mb/sec). This topic is not about either of those. It is about settings with no adverse settings at all and showing how the differences between the default settings and the higher bit rate ones.

There are a lot of people who are very interested in finding settings that produce acceptable quality improvements without disturbing any of the original functionality. This thread will give them that. Combining it with topics that adversely affect the original functionality will only serve to confuse those users don't you think?
  • @mpgxsvcd

All I really want is to make it managed.
    Plus your topic title is kind of controversal.
    Stable settings topic is absolutely suitable for this settings.
    Btw 32Mbit is very common setting in stable topic and I'll explain later why.
  • @Vitaliy
    have you consider sub-section on this site. It's getting a bit difficult to find information you want on this site as more and more topics appear lately.
  • @Vitaliy

Not really sure what is controversial about the title? It is no more controversial than saying 42 mb/sec is "Stable" I have several samples where the 42 mb/sec setting would fail even with a class 10 card.

I plan on keeping up with this thread and attempting to keep it on topic. However, if you must merge it with the other topics that is your prerogative. I hope that you keep it separate though.

Just let me know how you plan on proceeding with it. Please feel free to delete these comments and continue this over PM if that is more appropriate.
  • >Have you consider sub-section on this site.

This site have sections and sub-sections since the start. Called categories :-)
  • @mpgxsvcd

You must understand me.
    As many guys could move their posts out of two hacks topic and make separate topic.
  • I, for one, think this is a really valuable stand-alone topic.
  • Hard to tell with this scene....
    I think the noisiest pictures are the highest bit-rates
    Picture 5 is the highest bit-rate?

• @AmandaNL

Which one of these (1080p, 1080i, or 720p) would you expect to have the highest bit rate if all settings are the same? The MJPEG files actually have the highest bit rate by far. I think the average bit rate of the MJPEG file was well over 160 mb/sec. Can you tell which one is the high bit rate 720p file?
  • 720p No. 19: much noise
    720p No. 16: much noise
    720p No. 20: very good
    720p No. 18: very good
    i think No. 16 and 19 have the highest bitrate

1080p
    No. 4 and 5: much noise (No. 4 and 5 have the highest bitrate)
    Nr. 7 and 11: very good
  • @Butt

"720p No. 19: much noise" Great so which one would you expect to display the most noise?

"720p No. 16: much noise" You are correct these two display the most noise. So which codec and setting would you expect that to be? Also is this a good thing or bad thing in your opinion?

"720p No. 20: very good" You will be probably be very surprised at the settings used for this one.

"720p No. 18: very good" You will be probably be very surprised at the settings used for this one.

i think No. 16 and 19 have the highest bitrate. This can be determined just by looking at the file size. So which settings would you expect to produce the highest bit rate.

1080p
    "No. 4 and 5: much noise (No. 4 and 5 have the highest bitrate)." Yes number 5 has the highest average bit rate for the 1080p files. No number 4 is not anywhere near the highest bit rate. What about that one makes you think it was a higher bit rate?

"Nr. 7 and 11: very good" What makes these look good?
  • @mpgxsvcd
    very interesting comparison and I am happy if you solve the mystery
    especially to the very good no. 18 and 20 at 720p and the very good no. 7 and 11 at 1080p

>What makes these look good?<<br />I guess: defauld 1080p high (11) and GOP6 42Mbit 32MBit defauld high (7)
    But it's just a guess, especially at No.7
  • @mpgxsvcd
    I think number 19 is the high bit 720 mjpeg file, it's sharp and has lots of noise.
    Actually looks a lot like a raw photo
  • @AmandaNL

Correct. Can you pick out the default firmware MJPEG. That is a little harder to spot but it does have some distinctive characteristics.

Here are the unaltered videos for the MJPEG settings. Do you guys like the way these videos look?

• Actually, the strobing effect is much visible, and I don't know why most of the users think that the less motion blur the better video quality?!? Absolutely NO!!! Every, every, every movie production and pro cam has the magic of the motion blur, even the highest budget motion pictures - and that's what must be because that's the way for the natural look of the eyes actually.
    Otherwise, the video looks nice if it was photo snapshot, but for video shooting... no.
  • @producer

You are correct. The frame rate should almost always be half the shutter speed. However, when comparing compression it helps to have a well defined and sharp moving object. That is why this was shot with a fast shutter. If it had been a slower shutter then the bit rate really wouldn't have been noticeable at all.
  • Here are some real world 720p 32 mb/sec hacked samples. These were upconverted to 1080p just to get better compression on the streaming sites.

I was kind of surprised at how much better the video looks on Vimeo. When you use the hidden 1080p trick it really looks like good streaming.