Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Filters for video
  • Hi guys,

I'm a newbie (those dreaded words!)

I've recently got a GH2 and mainly use it for filming. I'm now looking to get some filters for it (polarising and variable ND) purely for video.

Initially I thought I'd just buy screw in filters, namely the digital ones from Hoya but it quickly dawned on me that that would be an expensive option as it would mean individual filters for each lens due to the different thread sizes on each of them, also I have one which doesn't take filters ( the Panasonic 7-14mm wide zoom).

I then thought that a good option would be slot in filters such as the Cookin variety, as a cheaper option to the screw in type. Also with the slot in filters I would be able to filter the Panasonic 7-14mm? However these filters I understand are made of resin (plastic) so would I be right in thinking that they would not be ideal for filming, not as good as glass screw in filters?

I'm confused to say the least!

I'm contemplating just buying uv filters for all lenses (for protection) and getting a polariser and variable nd one screw in just for my main lens ( the panasonic 14-140mm).

I'm just imagining myself on a sunny day and wanting to reach for 7-14mm panasonic but then thinking "Gee wizz Batman, I can't polarise or use an nd on this" colours could turn out washed out due to reflections, I guess the nd issue could be resolved by stopping down the aperture as I wouldn't get a shallow depth of field on this lens anyhow :-P

I understand a lens as wide as this just isnt possible to have a thread (vignetting issues, protruding lens,) so do I guess the best thing i can do is just stop down on sunny days but no solution for the polarisation?

Thanks

Rafael

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • If you're going the screw on route, get a 77mm size and buy step up adapters for the various lenses. I suggest a high quality Fader ND to start. I haven't used the resin drop ins since film school (GHWB era). So, I have no idea where they are these days as far as quality goes.

• Ah ok :-)

Didn't think of that, (shows my newbie -ness haha!) yeah getting step up adapters solves the issue of having to buy multiple filters for multiple lenses, thanks mate! I guess the step up adapters wouldnt influence the effect or operation of the filters as compared to having them screw in directly? (silly question it seems but i just wanna double check)

I'm still curious to hear from people on the point of shooting video through these resin drop ins, mainly because of my wide 7-14mm lens which hasnt got a thread.

Have people found they needed a nd or polarising filter with the 7-14mm panasonic?

• I set up my system for 77mm filters. To me, it keeps shooting pretty consistent (I typically just change the entire filter pack when I switch lenses) and it gave me the confidence to invest in god quality filters, knowing that I would be able to use them for years--whatever camera system I'll be using.

I avoid resin filters because I think they degrade image--especially so the better the camera. You could try a matte box--maybe DSLR-sized. Or perhaps there's a way to mount a 77mm filter ring onto the Panny 7-14. You'd have to be careful about vignetting, but it may be possible to create a workable mount given the area of the 77mm filter.

• Yeah I was unsure about resin too, I think the best bet is to get some good quality screw in glass filters and use step up rings.

Thanks a lot for your help chaps :)