Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
How to Clean Sensor on GH2
  • Need to clean my GH2 sensor (I'm seeing a green dot in the middle of my footage, and when looking at monitor of footage shot with lens cap on, I saw a bunch of white dots...assuming/hoping it's just dust on the sensor). So my question is this - I bought the Giottos Rocket Air Blower, but how to do I get the mirror(or is it shutter?) to lock open so I can blow air on it? Any and all tips much appreciated.

• 18 Replies sorted by
  • try pushing the menu selection called "sensor cleaning"

BTW what u see when you look into your camera is the AA filter that sits directly over the sensor. There is no mirror.

• @shian Yeah, did "sensor cleaning" process in menu, but no luck.

Lol. After googling around, finally realized this is a mirrorless camera. Lol.

So I guess you're saying, that with no lens on camera, what I see is the "sensor" (with this AA filter)? I tried blowing the Giottos Rocket air blower on this, but still no luck.

Any opinion on using a sensor swab with Eclipse fluid ( or wrapping a pecpad around a sensor swab plastic stick), and cleaning the sensor directly(or the AA filter)?

Thanks

• I had a small clear blob on the sensor that wouldn't go away. When I stopped down any lens, it would appear as a black blob.

99% Iso Alcohol worked. Dip a cotton swab in alcohol and apply to spots on the sensor. Don't wipe it off yet. Allow it to sit for 30+ seconds. Then use the cotton swab to gently wipe off. Repeat with new swab until the spot is gone. [ do at your own risk :) ]

• I had a small clear blob on the sensor that wouldn't go away. When I stopped down any lens, it would appear as a black blob.

99% Iso Alcohol worked. Dip a cotton swab in alcohol and apply to spots on the sensor. Don't wipe it off yet. Allow it to sit for 30+ seconds. Then use the cotton swab to gently wipe off. Repeat with new swab until the spot is gone. [ do at your own risk :) ]

• Anybody know the recommended way to clean a GH2 sensor? Surely someone knows how it ought to be done...this is the top GH2 forum on the internet!

• Send your GH2 to Panasonic service. It is the best way and costs less than screwing the sensor by trying to clean it yourself.

• Use a swab. There are those you can buy off the shelf, generally they will do the trick. I use the optic cleaning solution Eclipse, which is quite expensive, but useful. Dab a dash of the solution on a swab, clean sensor gently, voila, your camera will be good as new.

• @kazuo Is the sensor immediately accessible after taking lens cap off, or do I need to hold shutter open or something (ive removed cap and looked in, but don't really know what im looking at)? thanks

• Never tried it on a GH2. but this is the method for Canon. Might want to apply the same tactic using the "Sensor Cleaning" button.

• Eclipse 2 sensor cleaning fluid is made from ethanol. methanol and isopropyl acohol.

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00S90V

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1131609&page=4

Manufacturers Method:

Canon - Blower and a Kimwipe, held by tweezers. They do not like to use fluid but when necessary they use either 90% isopropyl alcohol or a 50/50 mixture of isopropyl alcohol and Windex.

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/methods.html

Cleaning your Sensor/ Thom Hogan

http://www.bythom.com/cleaning.htm

The Secret of Effectively and Safely Cleaning Your Digital Camera Sensor Yourself

http://www.adorama.com/alc/article/13666

How to clean your sensor (and what not to do)

• Gh2 sensor has AA and bayer filters. It's safe to clean by oneself.

• One rookie question: when I remove the body cap and look into the GH2, is that the sesnor that I clean, or is that some protective flap that somehow gets pulled back to reach the sensor?

• that's the sensor, thus mirroless. there is a shutter but only appears when you take a photo, but to answer the questions, what you see is the sensor.

• It's the transparent AA filter on top of the sensor. You will clean the filter, not the sensor.

• So what do you guys think of using Pecapads with Eclipse to clean sensor? Ok and safe to use? (Thanks all for info youve given me on this topic - it's much appreciated)

• Hard lesson learned last night. Thought I'd share my "cleaning" experience with one of my GH3s.

I rented a few lenses online for a shoot with one of my clients this weekend. I neglected to inspect the lenses thoroughly, and a bit of dust from the rear of the lens ended up getting on my sensor while mounting. I thought "no big deal I'll just blow it out....with my mouth" DERP.

A small piece of spittle ended up landing on the sensor and was most definitely visible in footage. I tried the Rubbing Alcohol/Swab method, but it left streaks on the sensor. Also visible.

Needless to say I ended up running down to the only camera shop in town and buying Eclipse and a few actual swabs to clean it.

$50 spittle. Most expensive spittle ever.

TLDR; Get eclipse and actual sensor swabs. Better safe than sorry.