Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Flashbacks, Dream Sequences and Mixed Formats
  • I just saw Richard Berry's Boite noire where the lead character's recall of suppressed childhood memories of his brother's death were conveyed by a different look. In this case it seemed to change from film to digital.

For me, this provoked a break in suspension of disbelief - until I got used to the look. Berry also cleverly merges in some half-real, half-remembered scenes as the brain-injured character starts to recall past events.

I'm starting to think it would be best to use the most standard means possible for such sequences. (The old rippling water effect with harp music was always a bit naff).

[ edIted for clarIty:] What are the best of the emerging sequence-change styles for an all- digital workflow?

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • I think Oliver Stone's 'JFK' sets the bench mark for flashbacks - super 8mm, 16mm, radical changes in grade and sound perspective - great piece of work that still stands up after 20 odd years. A doff of the hat to Pietro Scalia and Joe Hutsching whose editing skills added hugely to the feel and tone of the film.

• @mrbill

Nothing beats super-8 for street-cred.

There are a number of techniques . I am keen to see what works best using digital.