Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black line streaks across B&W ISO 12800 footage
  • I've been working on a project where I'm using the GH2's ISO 12800 setting for its grainy film look. I'm purposely underexposing my footage to give it a more grittier look and what I've noticed when using 1/40, 1/50 or 1/60 shutter speeds, I get a black line that goes across my video.

Watch the video in 1080p to see what I mean, anyone else get this? I'm wondering if it's a sensor problem, I'm using Sedna AQ1 patch.

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Well, be glad it's just a black line....color line would look much worse in the black&white footage.....

• So I've tested 1600, 3200, 6400 and 12800 all of them exhibit this line streak. I don't remember seeing this before. Can anyone reproduce the same settings to find out where the problem lies? Doesn't matter what lens I use i can see a black line across the image on ISO 12800 particularly if the subject is underexposes. It becomes less apparent by raising the exposure but can still be spotted when the cam is moved.

My settings B/W Smooth -2 contrast, +2 sharpness, -2 NR. ISO 12800, shutter 1/50 using Sedna AQ1 hack. Latest ptools. Hope i don't have a malfunctioned Gh2 or is this normal for the sensor? Thx

• Just fixed pattern due to sensor. Your sensor is just made such :-(

• I read this topic about the banding issue http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/693/gh2-showing-fixed-darker-bandstripe-20-pixels-high-across-footage/p1 and am somewhat relieved that is a common problem effecting many GH2's and not just mine. Solution is to shoot at 1/30th in 24p mode. Let's hope the GH3 doesn't have this problem :)