Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Weird waving/wiggle noise
  • Has anyone come across this in their footage?

http://rodrigoconstanzo.com/camera/error.mov

(it's a small 8.6mb file. didn't want to upload it to youtube/vimeo in case that flattens the distortion)

This is using the stock 14-42mm lens and Aquamotion v2.

In the first half of the video it looks like the flashing christmas lights are causing it, but that's not the case. The second half of the video you can see it in a static lighting situation.

This doesn't happen all the time, though it seems that certain types of images cause it to happen consistently. It's rare enough (in my footage) that I haven't bothered to track it down or fix the problem, but these shots are really bad (the first one is pretty much unusable, which is a shame as it's nice footage).

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Isn't this just a shutter speed that's wrong for the mains lighting frequency?

• Hmm. I guess that would make sense.

So is there a trick for avoiding that? (ie not shooting at the same shutter speed). I'm in the UK (50hz).

• If you're using 24p, then try 1/25 as a shutter speed. It really depends though on the type of lighting. LEDs and some fluorescents can be pretty bad. It's a while since I've had any problems with this, but I always stick to 1/25, shooting at 24p. You could try it on the thing that looks worst so you can see what shutter speed minimises it. I'm in UK too.

• Don't really notice it in the view finder either, which is unfortunate. I'll try that next time.

• Also I think (but you may have to experiment with it) that If you use Neat noise reduction, and tick the "low frequency noise" box, that may well reduce this effect in the footage you've already shot - all is not lost!

• Might need to get something like that as when showing dark/high ISO stuff, the shadow grain isn't great looking. Buying one of those 95mbs cards soon, so hopefully a higher bitrate hack will sort some of that out.

• Cool! Neat is really excellent but there are other good free alternatives around. Also as you may already know, noise can be useful to hide some other artefacts (on gradients) so having noise isnt a disaster - noise-reducing afterwards can give you really nice images and effectively supress gradient banding. And yes, the high bitrate hacks can help to preserve the noise so you can remove it more effectively (if that makes sense).

EDIT Just tried your clip with Neat and it doesn't help with the strange wiggling effect that much, but it certainly improves it. I guess it's most noticeable where the shot itself is static. But playing with shutter speed ought to sort it out. Or shoot in HBR (25p) if you can't get rid of it with shutter speed adjustments, just that you'll lose a bit of quality in HBR mode.