Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
SSDs, internal vs external.
  • Hey guys, i've decided to upgrade the RAM of my 2011 MBP from 4 to 16gig, so I also wanted to do something about my drive speed. after seeing this video:

It sounded like a great solution, but after it's all said and done It would cost only 100$ less than replacing my stock hard drive.

That being said, it's still 100$ saved. Is there any real advantage in terms of speed of an internal SSD VS one connected via thunderbolt?

also will editing on the internal drive fragment it? maybe that's a stupid question but it is what I have heard in rumor around the internet.

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • The best (cost effective) solution is to use an SSD as a startup disk and to rely on a faster internal SATA drive. I have a Hackintosh with a Crucial M4 128gb with all of my apps and OS on it as well as a Samsung 7200 RPM drive for files, video, assets etc. Lighting quick. I would drop the optical drive and replace with an SSD and migrate your apps and OS onto it. Use your (or replace with a larger) traditional hard drive for scratch stuff. Between that and the RAM you should see a tangible increase in speed, especially in opening apps.

• I already have a 7200rpm external drive that basically serves the purpose of file holding and backup. The question is the benefits of an internal SSD vs one connected via thunderbolt, specifically for video editing.

Can I edit on the internal drive if that is the route I go? or do I still need an external drive to edit on?

• As long as the applications and OS aren't on the same drive as the assets, internal will be quicker.

• would editing and storing the applications/os/assets on the same drive fragment the drive?

• @christianhubbard

Fragmentation is not issue for SSD :-) No only it has no mechanical parts, but modern SSD controllers are so complicated that things are stored in very special ways.

• so I have no need for external drive except backup and storage?

i'm ok with the internal being marginally slower if editing on the same drive. Still beats my slow external one now.

plus it's all compartmentalized with no extra crap.

• Alvin Cox of Seagate has warned that the period of time data is retained on some solid-state drives is halved for every 9°F (or 5°C) rise in temperature where its stored...

if a solid-state drive is stored in a warm room, say 77°F (25°C), its data can last for about two years. But, if that goes up by a mere few degrees to 86°F (30°C), that data's retention period will be cut in half.

http://www.jedec.org/sites/default/files/Alvin_Cox%20%5BCompatibility%20Mode%5D_0.pdf

http://www.zdnet.com/article/solid-state-disks-lose-data-if-left-without-power-for-just-a-few-days/

• Standard practice would be for os and apps to be on your system drive, and media to be on another. I bought a WD Raptor 10,000 for my now elderly hp xw workstation, but with 16gb ram, and dual quad core xeons, it still does a pretty decent job

• @goanna

I can surprise you, but I posted about this, just in different topic, more suitable

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2344/the-bleak-future-of-nand-flash-memory/p1