Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Lens support for 100-300mm
  • This discussion was created from comments split from: Official Panasonic GH3 topic, series 2.

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • "Anyone who wanted a direct successor to the GH2 (a camera that produces images so crisp and sharp that people on this forum apply patches and use vintage lenses to soften the output) should buy a ..."

Vicx I am a wildlife photographer and find that my GH2's & 100-300mm lenses mounted on HEAVY tripods with top end heavy video heads and utilizing rock solid lens supports produce incredibly razor sharp video files even racked out to an EFL of 1560mm.

If I want mushy "film like" images I always have my D800.

But perhaps I am in the minority.

• @Tex

What lens support you use for 100-300mm?

One thing that I creatly prefer in tamron 70-200mm is that it comes with lens collar.

• IMO a long lens with a collar is not satisfactory for using ETC on the 100-300. The Hejnar support provides support farther down the lens. The 100-300 is rock solid with the Hajner even at 1560mm.

• At 1560mm HEAVY tripods (I use Gitzo 410's with center weight) and HD and heavy heads (I use Manfrotto 519's) are mandatory.

• The Fotga camera base is not satisfactory for the physical characteristics of the 100-300.

• OK, I slitted all offtopic in GH3 topic to separate thread.

• The Fotga camera base is not satisfactory for the physical characteristics of the 100-300.

Claim really sounds like bullshit.

As for legs, I really suggest good Weifeng carbon tripods, or top quality NEST.

As for heads, whole carbon video tripod with very good heavy head will be cheaper than 519 manfrotto head.