Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Samsung will terminate contract with Apple concerning LCD screens
  • Samsung Display said Monday that it will terminate its contract with Apple and no longer supply liquid crystal display (LCD) panels to its long time partner.

The news comes as speculation is mounting over a rift between the two firms that have shared a long relationship in electronic components.

The display panel manufacturer plans to completely cut its years-long business ties with Apple as it believes its American partner is no longer a cash-generator due to the iPhone maker’s stiffer supply-chain management structure.

Via: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2012/10/133_122835.html

I enjoy it when a supplier says thanks for the business, now pay your tab...

reminds me of GM screwing their suppliers at every chance...

Defending patent lawsuits cost money...

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • I added original link and quote.

Such thing is not hurting Apple much, at least right now.

But with OLED spreading it an become fatal.

• Well, Apple is currently invested in Sharp IGZO. Samsung was also manufacturing IPS screens for Apple, which isn't their technology in the first place. Apple has not used any Samsung display technology to date, only their manufacturing capabilities.

• Well, Apple is currently invested in Sharp IGZO

It is quite popular rumor that people somehow attached to this news.

Right now Sharp part is not exactly known, and it is not making any IGZO screens for Apple products.

Samsung was also manufacturing IPS screens for Apple, which isn't their technology in the first place. Apple has not used any Samsung display technology to date, only their manufacturing capabilities

Quite strange comment.

As Samsung has all the skills and tech (same as LG - other major manufacturer). Apply just defined certain required parameters and quality standards. Period.

• Right now Sharp part is not exactly known, and it is not making any IGZO screens for Apple products.

IGZO is new. We'll see if Apple puts in IGZO in their coming products. I did read they made a substantial investment.

As Samsung has all the skills and tech (same as LG - other major manufacturer). Apply just defined certain required parameters and quality standards. Period.

What I meant is that Samsung's own most used display technology is not what Apple uses. Samsung doesn't use IPS for their own products. Samsung uses PVA -- Apple never used it. Okay recently, Samsung created their own related technology Super PLS.