Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
If you're in NYC, check out Jesper Just at the James Cohan Gallery
  • Hey, everyone. I've been gallery hopping in Chelsea today, and I came across a really interesting film/video piece in the James Cohan Gallery. Anyone in NYC should definitely go check it out. I think it is open for another week or so.

Jesper Just has made some short films in anamorphic that have two cameras (and therefore two screens) following the story and scene in tandem. They are projected on opposite walls of a dark room in uncropped 3.55:1, with two projectors for each screen. I must say, I looked for the dividing point between the two projector images that make up a single large image, and it is difficult to find and therefore not distracting at all.

It is a surprisingly immersive experience, requiring you to look back and forth between the two opposite walls. Some of his other films are listed as shot on 35mm, but the 3.55:1 aspect ratio of these images (along with some other things) leads me to believe these were shot on digital.

As a side note, I'd love to hear from anyone who has successfully "merged" projector images for higher than 1920x1080 resolution. I had always assumed that it was theoretically plausible but realistically too finicky to bother pulling off.

http://www.jamescohan.com/artists/jesper-just/selected-works/