Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Big Bang=Big Wrong?
  • http://www.technologyreview.com/view/419984/big-bang-abandoned-in-new-model-of-the-universe/

Big Bang Abandoned in New Model of the Universe A new cosmology successfully explains the accelerating expansion of the universe without dark energy; but only if the universe has no beginning and no end.

87 comments

THE PHYSICS ARXIV BLOG Tuesday, July 27, 2010

As one of the few astrophysical events that most people are familiar with, the Big Bang has a special place in our culture. And while there is scientific consensus that it is the best explanation for the origin of the Universe, the debate is far from closed. However, it's hard to find alternative models of the Universe without a beginning that are genuinely compelling.

That could change now with the fascinating work of Wun-Yi Shu at the National Tsing Hua University in Taiwan. Shu has developed an innovative new description of the Universe in which the roles of time space and mass are related in new kind of relativity.

Shu's idea is that time and space are not independent entities but can be converted back and forth between each other. In his formulation of the geometry of spacetime, the speed of light is simply the conversion factor between the two. Similarly, mass and length are interchangeable in a relationship in which the conversion factor depends on both the gravitational constant G and the speed of light, neither of which need be constant.

So as the Universe expands, mass and time are converted to length and space and vice versa as it contracts.

This universe has no beginning or end, just alternating periods of expansion and contraction. In fact, Shu shows that singularities cannot exist in this cosmos.

It's easy to dismiss this idea as just another amusing and unrealistic model dreamed up by those whacky comsologists.

That is until you look at the predictions it makes. During a period of expansion, an observer in this universe would see an odd kind of change in the red-shift of bright objects such as Type-I supernovas, as they accelerate away. It turns out, says Shu, that his data exactly matches the observations that astronomers have made on Earth.

This kind of acceleration is an ordinary feature of Shu's universe.

That's in stark contrast to the various models of the Universe based on the Big Bang. Since the accelerating expansion of the Universe was discovered, cosmologists have been performing some rather worrying contortions with the laws of physics to make their models work.

The most commonly discussed idea is that the universe is filled with a dark energy that is forcing the universe to expand at an increasing rate. For this model to work, dark energy must make up 75 per cent of the energy-mass of the Universe and be increasing at a fantastic rate.

But there is a serious price to pay for this idea: the law of conservation of energy. The embarrassing truth is that the world's cosmologists have conveniently swept under the carpet one the of fundamental laws of physics in an attempt to square this circle.

That paints Shu's ideas in a slightly different perspective. There's no need to abandon conservation of energy to make his theory work.

That's not to say Shu's theory is perfect. Far from it. One of the biggest problems he faces is explaining the existence and structure of the cosmic microwave background, something that many (snip)

• 22 Replies sorted by
  • Sweet lord the comments on that story are impressive.

• The model of the universe changes every ten years. Think for a moment about the sky--at night, it is mainly dark. That means that the light-record, stars, galaxies, radiation, has not had time to reach us yet: we can't yet see or understand all that missing information. Without all those pieces of the puzzle, it is just conjecture. Every few years, the universe "gets larger", which means we see farther.

• time and space are not independent entities but can be converted back and forth between each other

Beautiful!

• @brianluce
    It is just one of the several cosmological models, among the so-called cyclic models: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_model The article was submitted two years ago to the electronic preprint archive, the arXiv, which is not peer reviewed, and as far as I can check, the author never managed to published it elsewhere. I am not saying this all wrong, but it's just one of the numerous theories with no follow-up development. You may check daily yourself hundreds of new cosmological theories on the http://arxiv.org/archive/astro-ph or if it is too overwhelmingly big, check for example some of the blogs that are run by the cosmologists, such as http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cosmicvariance/

• Sweet lord the comments on that story are impressive.

I noticed those too. A lot were funny, frustrated physicist protesting "I wrote a paper on this in 1982!" with links to blogs.

• As MIT's review says:

It's easy to dismiss this idea as just another amusing and unrealistic model dreamed up by those whacky comsologists.

• So that explains how Superman went back in time! 0.o

• As MIT's Technology Review said,

It's easy to dismiss this idea as just another amusing and unrealistic model dreamed up by those whacky cosmologists.

As a science journalist, I know better than to present my producer with a story which is not new or doesn't somehow stand out against the rest. It would have no merit.

Now, the review does go on to give reasons why this particular research deserves our attention.

That is until you look at the predictions it makes. During a period of expansion, an observer in this universe would see an odd kind of change in the red-shift of bright objects such as Type-I supernovas, as they accelerate away. It turns out, says Shu, that his data exactly matches the observations that astronomers have made on Earth.

This kind of acceleration is an ordinary feature of Shu's universe.

That's in stark contrast to the various models of the Universe based on the Big Bang. Since the accelerating expansion of the Universe was discovered, cosmologists have been performing some rather worrying contortions with the laws of physics to make their models work.

I thank the Review for pointing out Shu's work. It's worth considering. What scientific writing does best is shake up our ideas . Only once in a blue moon does one of these articles identify paradigm shift, but that's what makes it exciting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradigm_shift#Examples_of_paradigm_shifts_in_the_natural_sciences

• I have no problem with the paper, except that there are more than one set of the observational data to compare the model with. The idea that the "Gravitational constant is not a constant" is widely discussed in the current alternative Cosmological models, such as the Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND). I don't want to go into the details here, and I just refer to the 2012 review which discussed various (!) "theoretical attempts (TeVeS, GEA, BIMOND, and others) made to effectively embed this modification of Newtonian dynamics within a relativistic theory of gravity" : http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2012LRR....15...10F My concern is mostly about the presentation of the astrophysics & cosmology (and other sciences in general) in the news by selecting a single work as the revolution in our understanding of the Universe without doing any attempts to research more into the problem. Imagine, that I would post at this forum that the "new RGBW coding in Sony Stacked Sensors would revolutionize the low-light capabilities of the digital imaging", just by citing solely the Sony August press-release without checking that the same company later abandoned the RGBW coding, as it has failed to meet "certain conditions of Sony's image quality standards".

• My concern is mostly about the presentation of the astrophysics & cosmology (and other sciences in general) in the news by selecting a single work as the revolution in our understanding of the Universe without doing any attempts to research more into the problem.

People have problem with other approaches. So, media choose best working one. No one will be excited if they'll tell them that 1000 alternative views exist and it looks like in next few million years they won't be able to decide that is right and that is wrong. :-)

• So, media choose best working one.

No problem with that. Just go deeper than "one crazy lunatic cosmologist suggested" ;-)

• Imagine, that I would post at this forum that the "new RGBW coding in Sony Stacked Sensors would revolutionize the low-light capabilities of the digital imaging", just by citing solely the Sony August press-release without checking that the same company later abandoned the RGBW coding, as it has failed to meet "certain conditions of Sony's image quality standards".

I feel your pain. Are you a Physicist?

I'm actually working on a new cosmological theory I invented that will revolutionize physics. The cool thing about my theory is that instead of math (I'm not good with numbers) I use emoticons. :)

• Have no fear, @igorek7 , .

Despite our notions of celebrity culture being determined by social media, the theory of Wun-Yi Shu will still be subjected to full scientific rigour.

When it comes to the long-suffering scientific press, we here in Australia must confess to a social agenda aimed at encouraging more kids to study science. So yes, we do look for a story which hits home. When a new story idea presents itself, we look for pictures and vision, everyday examples, an expert or two - but, above all, somebody with good talent media-wise.

Last week I heard an interview with a noted scientist who had written a book about a wacky, self-educated cosmologist who had weird stuff in his backyard. She totally disregarded his novel theory that everything is composed of rings but stayed interested because the man himself was interesting; she went on to explore the idea that anyone can come up with his own cosmological theory.

In the Wacky Scientist genre, this guy and Wun-Yi Shu make strange bedfellows. I don't see Wun-Yi Shu as charismatic, David Suzuki-type talent. Not particularly good-looking (or female), maybe his English might not be all that good.

Yet, for the No Big Bang spiel, Wun-Yi Shu's become the latest media go-to guy for the stars. (Just like dolphins are for oceans, David Attenborough for animals).

If you want to steal the media crown from Wun-Yi Shu, you might look at providing an alternative candidate with a simplified story. (I'm afraid saying "it's complicated" turns readers off). Another angle is the nationalistic one; we Australians were taught that Baird invented TV, Flory/penicillin, etc - whereas other countries tout their own science celebrities. Choose a cosmologist from your own country and you've got a better chance.

But the popular image of a rabble of dissenting, bearded cosmologists with bad breath, strong accents and unintelligible speech is just too hard to represent in those first five lines of an article which 90% of people are prepared to read.:-(

• I guess one of the reasons why so many people are into cosmology is that it is relatively easy to formulate an exciting new theory that can not quite as easily proven wrong (or right, but that's not so important).

Just think how frustrating it might be in comparison if you, for example, worked out a new physical theory on melting points of alloys, and if it's wrong, any craftsman with an oven and a thermometer can refute it within an hour.

Models that avoid to make any easily verifyable prediction are so much more likely to last for at least a while.

And if one's physical background is not good enough to write down a good looking cosmologic theory, one can still go the whole way, way beyond the "big bang" theory, even beyond nature, and postulate supernatural phenomena or deities - which are immune to any verification or reasoning.

• @Karl

immune to any verification or reasoning

By your FaceBook friends, at least ;-)

But agreed, you'll get your 15 minutes of fame!

• I'm with VK and karl on this one. I always find it interesting to look at why people believe these theories, and defend them to the death. Any simple and rational look at Big Bang is gonna yield a ton of unanswered questions. The primary one being "How the hell can you really even think to come close to guessing/inferring/deducing what occurred ~17 billion years ago?". On the other hand, I think many people that speculate and discuss these things are just passionate about science, and that's cool too. But get real - claiming to know what happened billions of years ago?...Really? So why do people believe Big Bang? Who knows...but it strikes me as curious that it's a real simple theory 'First there was stillness...and then a lot of activity...and then the world as we know it'. Kinda biblical. The bottom line is this: what's most interesting about unprovable theories is not whether they are correct or incorrect...but rather "how was this theory even thought up...and why do people insist on it being right". My 2 cents.

• @matt_gh2

I think you need to research why and how Big bang theory appeared.

get real - claiming to know what happened billions of years ago?...Really?

Yep, it is strange, but it is possible. For example, current space telescopes are used to research galaxies and other systems that existed up to 12 billions years ago.

• It's possible that we are looking at very old light, but the observable universe is about a thousand parsecs. Way way smaller than what is published. That's the part they always leave out. You can read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_distance_ladder We are constantly recalibrating the size of the universe because there is no sure way to measure it. However, there is actually some good science for the latest measurements, even though we said the same thing ten years ago, and the measurements were different. Basically, the universe scales with whatever data we throw at it.

• @VK I can't refute your claim that some telescopes are viewing images billions of years old. I've been told/understand that many of the images we see in the sky with our own eyes are also quite old (millions...billions of years old?). But what we have before our eyes...and even with these telescopes...are merely a complex multitude of many, many, many images...each varying in their age. Given that utter complexity of just that one facet (the complexity of the images we see)...my gut instinct tells me...that we haven't a clue what happened billions of years ago. Of course, I could be wrong. If I had 1000 lives...one of them would be spent on just this topic. Unfortunately, I've got just this one...and I'm barely able to test out all the great GH2 settings we have (LOL).

But I must say - the type of people who engage in this type of speculation rank up there as some of the greatest in my opinion (and coolest). Why - they enjoy thought, debate, rationality, science, possibility, potential, and blend it all with passion. Which seems to me to be some of the elements of your efforts on the GH1 and GH2 hacking...to which I say bravo. Well done - and of course..thank you. This is matt_gh2 signing off on the Big Bang debate. Over and out.

• There are more observational data available which can be used to test the cosmological theories. As it was mentioned on the original post from the"Technology Review", there is the Cosmic Microwave Background radiation (CMBR), which existence and the structure is now well-established. The CMBR has a thermal black body spectrum at a temperature of 2.725 K, and the glow is very nearly uniform in all directions, but the tiny remaining variations show a very specific pattern, "fluctuations". Although many different processes might produce the general form of a black body spectrum, no model other than the Big Bang has yet explained the fluctuations.

Besides, there are here are independent data on the stellar evolution, which allow to cross-check various cosmological predictions. You may know more about a huge effort devoted to studies of galaxy formation and evolution by using observations of distant, or high-redshift, galaxies. These surveys are looking for signs of recent (or instantaneous) star formation in the galaxies at different distances, which are observed due to the finite speed of light at different cosmic epochs. An alternative, and complementary, approach focuses on galaxies nearby enough to be resolved into their component stars. For these systems we can use well established stellar evolution theory, together with photometry and spectroscopy of individual stars of various ages, to interpret the “fossil record" of their star formation, and to trace the evolution of each from its formation to the present time.

In fact, the impossibility to explain the observational data leads to dismissing one theory in favor of another. One thing is true, there are cosmological theories which are impossible to verify, since they involve speculations about matters outside of our observable Universe (for example, the idea of multiple "parallel" universes). However, let's return to the original post, the presented paper claims at least two verifiable assumptions: the suggestion that the gravitational constant and the speed of light are not constant. These are the fundamental physical parameters, that can be tested in the experiments.

It's possible that we are looking at very old light, but the observable universe is about a thousand parsecs.

@DrDave Have you ever thought what would happen if everything in the world had shrunk to half size overnight? How would we know? One would be half as tall, but the ruler would be only half as long, so how one could tell?: http://www.phys.unsw.edu.au/einsteinlight/jw/module6_constant.htm

Choose a cosmologist from your own country and you've got a better chance.

No worries, @goanna . Australia has many great cosmologists.

Regarding the news coverage: in recent years it become more and more common in the news to present the cosmology as some kind of religion, where the cosmologists are some kind of new prophets trying to create new dogma. It is partially the cosmologists fault, as they introduced too many physically unproven phenomena, dark matter, dark energy, etc. Remember that at the moment these are just parameters to fit in the data, but each of the new parameters would be scrutinized in various branches of physics and astronomy.

There are various kinds of journalism (blogging is also a journalism), and sensationalism is not invented now. By the way, the similar scientific study could be presented in the news in a different way: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-12571965

I'm sorry for the long post.

• @svart @brianluce

I think topic will be more interesting if you'll ask @igorek7 questions about things you don't understand :-)