Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Workflow in Avid MC6 (720p60 Overcranking)
  • I want to make the switch to Avid MC6 from FCS3 because I am required to use it for school. I cannot figure out a good workflow for slowmotion with 60p footage though. If I shoot 720p60 and 1080p24 on the same card, Avid does not allow me to import all the files into the same project. Even if I do create a separate 720p60 project to import my 60p files, then open that bin in a 1080p24 project, Avid just drops frames and plays back in real time. I cannot figure out how to get Avid to conform the footage to 24p. In FCS3, I would just log/transfer to ProRes422 and then conform everything to 24p in CinemaTools. Anybody know if there is a simple workflow like that, which can be achieved in MC6?

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • You must use slow motion tools, timewarp, avid will see how many frames has the footage, but there is no conformation tools built in avid, it's a pain in the ass to click on every clip to slow down the footage, you can not even select multiple clips and make adjustments, thats what I know but have a long time to edit with MC hope that there is another solution to this.....

• Okay, I got that. But now how to I get the audio speed to match the video speed. The timewarp effect only affects the video track, not the audio.

• @pahlore - You can import 60p footage so it will play slow motion. its ridiculous, but here is how it is done in avid. open the console tool under tools type in this text command exactly - IgnoreQTRate true push enter, then import your 60p footage. This tells avid to bring in all the frames. If those aren't the exact instructions, google "avid IgnoreQTRate true" and the instructions should appear. Silly, but once you get it going it's not too bad. I've used avid since the 90s because it seems to keep track of things at the bitter end of post better than others. You have to execute this command each time you import after editing for a while.

• Let me tell you something! You need import 720p60 to project with same settings, and 1080p23.976 to other (1080p23.976). Then you open project 1080p23.976 and edit all footage there. But if you want use footage 60p just open bin from foreign 60p project (actually 720p59.94) and mix it at sequence 23.976p at normal speed. But if you want make some rapid slow motion you need do such things: Open Motion Effect Editor tool, Click on Promote button, Use motion control to see what speed now it seen (about 240% I think), and change it exactly to 100% for slow mo about 40% from source or change to 200% for slow motion about 80% from source. I suggest field render need to set duplicate fields, for avoid unnecessary field blending.

• I just think that 60p(59.94p) is more accepted a NORMAL speed at 1080p23.976 project than 50p. And there some problem to separate clips with different framerates before transcoding to DNxHD or straight import to different projects right clips. (24 or 60)