Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Vimeo new paid video content and tip jar features
  • After simplifying its submission process by integrating with Dropbox last month, Vimeo is moving on to its next project: paid video content. The premium video hosting service has announced new pay-to-view and tip jar features, which will allow content creators to earn revenue from their submissions by locking it behind a paywall or by gathering donations.

Later they stated that the service will be available for Vimeo plus accounts which cost 199$. I think they mean the new PRO accounts...

The idea of a tip/donate service is good but the idea of pay to view content is not (IMHO)

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/19/3354580/vimeo-tip-jar-pay-to-view-content

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • Thing is I need it to function smartly, so you can set the point in video where it stops and ask for instant payment.

And video must have up to 5 such points.

• They need to fix the problems they have with their other services and fire those snotty bastards on their help desk, before they try something new.

• I like the idea of donating. There are really a lot of wonderful pieces of art in there and if I liked it I could donate a tip. On the other hand I don't understand which kind of content I could find to pay to view it. Maybe some paid tutorials? Some new web tv series?

In both cases, will they implement a new payment platform like paypal subtracting additional fee? Or they just rely on already present paypal like platform?

Anyway I agree with @peternap: at the moment they services sucks. They are lucky to be the only video sharing platform with a good codec but their additional services simply sucks.

• Changing my account settings I discovered that the tip jar feature is already ready to use. Here how does it works:

https://vimeo.com/help/faq/tip_jar

Basically you get and extra "tip this video" button and you can give the user your CC or Paypal details.