Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Mac Programs That Avoid The FCP Gamma Shift
  • Hi, All!

I've been self-educating myself on all things workflow over this summer. I quickly began to realize that technically great content can quickly become mediocre in one small workflow misstep. One of these issues is Final Cut Pro's gamma shift bug. As far as I know, the bug persists and is unavoidable when exporting from FCP. I have FCP as my main editing program, and I am trying to work out a way that I can roundtrip to Resolve for grading . . . but I am wondering . . .

What do other FCP users do to avoid the gamma shift issue? Do you do export your final file somehow with a program other than FCP?

Also, does anyone know if FCX has the gamma shift issue? I'm still on the fence concerning X. It DOES offer some very enticing media management features, and as far as editing is concerned, it does just fine. It can easily roundtrip to Resolve, so the color correction base is covered. Really the only serious issue I find with it is that it cannot roundtrip to any pro audio programs. (And maybe it has the gamma shift issue. Does it?)

Anyone with more workflow experience, feel free to chime in. I'm here to learn, discuss and explore options. I just want to organize my footage, etid in peace, roundtrip to Resolve Lite for coloring, and have an audio roundtrip option open to me as well. And when its all said and done, I don't want the gamma to shift on me at final export. Is that too much to figure out?

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • If you convert to ProRes with 5Dto RGB, you are not affected in FCP.

If you want to work native, use Premiere, I don't get the shift there.

• Wait, the shift isn't there with 5DtoRGB ProRes? I thought it was. And, no offense to Andrew, but the words "free" and "Premier Pro" don't exactly go hand-in-hand. I'm trying to work with what I've got here, which admittedly is not much.

• @B3Guy - It's apparently not an issue with 5DtoRGB. Does FCP X not have a levels filter or the like that can control output levels for blacks and whites?

• I'm not sure. I had the trial way back, before I was aware of the gamma shift issue.