Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
How to set Frame Rate with GH2?
  • How do I know what my frame rate during video is? I looked all over the internet and the manual but it didn't tell me how to change the FPS. The only option I saw was "Shutter" but that's it. If I wanted to record 30 FPS video in Motion Jpeg mode, how would I do that? Also, when I do, the shutter should always be 60 right?

Thank you in advance.

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • So by default the 720p MJPEG is already at 30 FPS? So all I have to do is up the shutter to 60th right?

• @acuriousman My understanding is that 720p60 means the frame rate is 60 fps, in which case a normal shutter speed would be 1/120th of a second. Typically, this can be slowed to 24 fps by a 40% reduction.

• Okay, now I'm confused. You're talking of 60 FPS when I'm discussing 30. Unless, you mean the FPS is changed directly by the shutter? 0_0

Let me try this again. In order to get the best quality 720 Motion jpeg video @ 30 fps, I would simply go to film options, hit motion jpeg, and then adjust the shutter speed to 60 correct?

• @acuriousman Yes. If you want less motion blur.. you can go higher. Keep an eye on light flickering.

• Okay, but standard camcorders/youtube uploads are done with 30 fps @ 60 shutter correct?

• @acuriousman If you want 30 fps, you want HBR mode.

What the appropriate shutter angle would be would be at that frame rate to maintain to the 180 degree is a separate (but related) topic.

• Really? What do you mean by "Appropriate Shutter Angle"? I shoot reviews where the camera never moves and all you see are my hands. What would be the appropriate shutter angle for that?

It looks like this.

• @acuriousman

Unless you need to do freeze-frames from your video, (scientific, security or sport applications), the correct shutter angle is pretty much always the one which will sustain the illusion of motion. Your hands are moving, so you choose whether to have them move smoothly as in life (180 deg) or else stutter across the screen so as to do a still grab.(higher framerate, small shutter angle).

• @acuriousman I'm puzzled too. Yes, the GH2 will shoot 720p30, but only using MJPEG format. In which case, if you use 180 degree shutter then you'd probably want to shoot at 1/60th of a second shutter speed, although you could drop that slower if you want more motion blur, or in darker conditions, assuming you already have maximum aperture and a reasonable level of ISO to minimize noise.

Of course, if you're shooting for Youtube, why limit yourself to 720p, when they offer 1080p30? It looks like you can control the lighting, so a 180 degree shutter should be fine.

• @acuriousman @ahbleza Youtube seems to allow viewers to choose their own resolution and will indeed down-res your video. So yes, go ahead and send them a 1080p 30 and see how it behaves.

When it comes to shutter speeds, however, the old rules of film making still apply. Unlike life as we see it with our eyes, everything we see on a screen so far seems to be so far divided into a series of frames and requires blur so as to create the illusion of motion. Motion blur is sometimes inaccurately referred to lately as a bad thing which can somehow be avoided. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shutter_angle

• @goanna As I posted here --> http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4396/encoding-for-youtube/

Youtube does support 1080p30. In fact, they will accept much higher resolutions with higher bit rates, and keep them as a "gold master" to downsample to their highest available format, which at present appears to be 1080p30 at around 8 Mbps--but I suspect this will change in future, as bandwidth increases.

You are of course correct on motion blur and shutter angle.

• @acuriousman - the basic rule of thumb for 180 degree shutter is double that of your frame rate. So 30fps requires a 60 shutter speed. 24/25 fps should use 50 shutter speed, and so on.

• @acuriousman Shoot 1080p @ 30 FPS with a 1/60th shutter speed. For what you are trying to do you won't be able to tell the difference on youtube.