Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Comer copy LED
  • Chinese light, looks like exact Comer copy

Features:

Professional grade 10-LED light
    Long life LED lightbulb abotu 30,000 hours usage
    Cold shoe compatible with most camera&camcorders
    Great for HD wide-angle shooting
    Uniform lighting over the entire projected area
    Spotlight projection with built-in condensing lens applied
    Light diffuser attached to soften shadows and reduce contras
    Compatible with Sony camcorder batteries, such as the NP-F770/F970/F750
    Energy saving and environmental friendly design with maximum powre consumption at approximately 20W.
    Long operating time: approximately 2 hours with NP-F770 at maximum brightness
    Wide range of irradiation with homogeneous light distribution (Astigmatism 90 degree, Condenser 45 degree)
    High luminous efficiency maximum at 900 lux in 1 meter distance
    Lighting distance:
    900lux at 1m
    100lux at 3m
    36lux at 5m
    14lux at 8m
    Adjustable dimmer to control different intensity of brightness
    Switchable color temperature at 5500K or 3200K using the built-in filter
    High beam/spotlight setup using the built-in condense lens

AliExpress seller, price only $123 shipped, remember AliExpress has buyer protection, so PayPal is always safe :
    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/476669830-Wholesale-LED-BL-900Video-Fill-Light-Flashlight-For-Camera-Video-Camcorder-DV-Lamp-1pcs-lot-F770-wholesalers.html

Other AliExpress seller ($157):
    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/469390851-Wholesale-BL-900-LED-Video-light-LED-Video-Light-for-DV-Camcorder-Lighting-Continuous-Lighting-wholesalers.html

Ebay seller, price - $220:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/BL-900-LED-Video-Light-Canon-EOS-550D-T2i-7D-5D-II-/170596300020?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27b854f4f4

And yes, bag comes free with light :-)
  • 36 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks for the link. I was looking for 3rd light.
  • Just want to add important info.
    It is copy of lower powered Comer light.

Here is copy of higher powered light ($200 shipped):
    http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/469385039-Wholesale-BL-1200-LED-Video-light-LED-Video-Light-for-DV-Camcorder-Lighting-Continuous-Lighting-wholesalers.html
  • I'm not getting a good luck with online goods lately. Another broken one...

20110801-_1040577.jpg
    720 x 540 - 323K
  • @stonebat

Just ask him for replacement of diffuser shipped by express.
    I am sure you could replace it.

How are your expirience with it?
  • The cracked piece is not a diffuser glass. It's a penetrative plastic that protects the LED bulbs. I gotta disassemble the whole box to remove the part. The cracks on the protective plastic looks bad... there could be damage on the LED bulbs, too. Also some other part was loosen. I want a total replacement.

I didn't bother to charge its bundled battery. I packed it. It's ready to ship back... if the seller responds to me. It wasn't easy to correct the angle. No knob. I had to twist a big coin to lock it. Definitely front heavy. My Z96 has a knob, is more compact and better balanced to sit on a cage rig. I recommend Z96 or W96.
  • >The cracked piece is not a diffuser glass. It's a penetrative plastic that protects the LED bulbs

I understand. But still do not see anything major here.

I think it is stupid not to test it and compare with Z96.
  • No response from the seller yet. I will test it out tonight.
  • @stonebat
    Why not do a quick test?
  • I will test it out for review purpose, but I'm getting a new replacement. I don't wanna take a chance that the LED bulbs die next month. It would have taken a lot of force to break the plastic.
  • Yeap. It was a good idea to see how it works. I wanna return it for a full refund.

The "vertical" angle lock has no knob. I had to use a quarter coin to lock it each time. Since it's front heavy, I had to tighten it hard each time. Annoying.

The hotshoe base doesn't rotate. Neither the neck. So the light cannot be adjusted horizontally.

No idea what this does. One end connects to the side of the light. But the other end... no idea. I couldn't connect to a battery charger.

When the light was tilted just slightly downward, the condenser lens opened up slightly. Then it gave more intense and smaller light with yellowish center. Nope this can't be a feature. It's a major showstopper.

Covering one side with either side protection plate worked fine to cover smaller area.

The package includes a battery and a charger. The charger made noise when I shook it. Some part broken internally? The light gear can't connect to the power charger directly. Of course plastic body parts.

The gear covered about light area as much as Z96 where Z96 gave more even and softer light.

I can't recommend this at all. I have Z96 and Cool Lights CL-LED256, and I was hoping this new light to fill the gap between them... but it failed. Z96 is more portable and easier to use. CL-LED256 is better built and more versatile.

While testing it out, I decided to attach CL-LED256 on a rig for the first time. Not bad. I really like the CL.
    20110803-IMG_1407.jpg
    538 x 720 - 337K
  • @stonebat

You are pretty hard at it. But in many places it deserves such approach.
    About mount - use any ball head and hotshoe mount on top.
    About cord - this is used for connecting to large battery solution as I understand.

Still not much info about ligh quality and amount :-)
    Can you place it and Z96 side by side?

• Tomorrow!!!
  • Problems are the same with the original.
    Its a bummer the glass leaves a gap if tilted forward.....
    Maybe the connector cord will connect to an adapter? There are a lot adapters with removable tips.

Think I will go for the Z96, I like it with aa batteries and it looks a lot lighter, also a lot cheaper.

Still like to see how it performs with lights on :-)

• Not having a good night sleep. Not that I lose sleep on $120 item. The seller called me in the middle of the night.

He was adamant about his good quality product and kept saying he paid $31 shipping cost. No he didn't get any payment from aliexpress where aliexpress already got money from my paypal. I had to send him photos of the DHL package box. I will claim a damaged package to DHL for him. Give it a week. If no news, going straight to aliexpress or Paypal. The seller said ok with that.

Then I heard electric zapping sound from the battery charger. A few sec later black smoke came out of the charger. WTF. The battery is dead. Glad it didn't burn down my home while I'm asleep.

So there you go. No review on the light quality. One thing I noticed. All panels could work like a barn door, but a barn door isn't so effective for LED light. It generated rows of discrete light. That's characteristic of LED light, not the fault of the gear.

I just can't recommend this. Period.
  • @stonebat

>Then I heard electric zapping sound from the battery charger. A few sec later black smoke came out of the charger. WTF. The battery is dead. Glad it didn't burn down my home while I'm asleep.

Most probably they included wrong voltage version, bu it can be also just faulty item. Check it out. :-)
    I had some expirience with this.

>The seller called me in the middle of the night.

What a service!
  • What was your worst experience from aliexpress or alibaba?
  • @stonebat

Only good expirience.
    Most sellers are very good people who stand behind their product.
    You are just very unlucky.

Btw, how it can be that you don't have Sony NP battery charger?
    It is very popular thing fr lighting and many other stuff.
    I recommend to get good charger at ebay separately anyway.
    Just to have it in future.
  • It came with Sony NP compatible battery charger not in good quality.
  • @stonebat
    Enclosed charges are always very cheap. Find good one on ebay.
    Btw double charger that come with 312 led light seems much better than all this cheap stuff.
  • Normally... I don't wait this long... but I let the seller resolve a damaged package issue with DHL until the end of this month. That's 26 Calendar days. I'm not a harsh guy. I'm Mr.Nice Guy.

But on September 1st... I'd get pissed off if he doesn't get back to me!!!!!!!!!!!! Vengeance is mine!!!
  • @stonebat

What I do not understand is why he is the one who must deal with DHL.
    As soon as you got the package and unpacked it it is your property and you must file all complains.
    Also it is very good idea not to sign anything if you see damaged box and open it with courier present (or in post office). Such approach allows to save big amount of time.
  • I just called DHL to claim for the damage, but they told me that the one who paid the shipping cost must claim so that they can give refund directly to the person if it was DHL's fault indeed. There is not much I can help the seller. He must claim by himself. I did give him a bunch of photos on the damaged item and the original package boxes. But there is no damage on the package box. By the way... the original box has not much protection. It was wrapped in another box with no protection. Basically double boxes... tight filled with gears. No bubble wrap. No paper wrap.

Personally... I think the seller's claim is BS. If the outside force has damaged the product, it would have cracked the outer panels, too. Only the protective panel was damaged. I think there is higher chance that the product was already damaged before it was shipped.
  • >Personally... I think the seller's claim is BS

Nope.
    I just think that it had been inserted quite tight under specific temperature and during flight it ahd either pressure changes or temperature changes that caused such damage.
    Look at your photos, they are hardly from mechanical damage.
  • Nice theory
  • @stonebat

I had similar thing damaged due to temperature (airplanes gargo area can be very cold), but long time ago.