Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic camera sales figues
  • does anyone know roughly how many video-capable m4/3 models (GH1, GH2, ...) by panasonic were sold? Are these figures (or estimates of them) public or can be bought anywhere?

Thanks in advance

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Can you specifically tell why you need them?

• Yes. I am part of a very small, independent software company, which has been working on software for DSLR shooters (definitely gh1/gh2 as I use them personally as a spare-time short filmer) for the past 2 1/2 years and we will probably be ready to make it available in the next few months (it's not going to get more precise than that ;-)) and we want to find a price that guarantees that people do not pay an arm and a leg while it is enough so the company can live off that, provided the software is good. If the software is considered crap, we're going to go bankrupt regardless of the price, which is fair. Sales figures for cameras are just one factor to make this process a little less voodoo than bone-throwing but it would help.

I hope I'm not violating any rules of this site (which I use regularly for getting info on gh1/gh2 topics, mostly related to getting the technical side of my own videography a bit better). I thought offtopic was an OK place for this but if it's not, please delete my posting and accept my apologies.

• @rmk

I asked for simple reason. You want people to do your work for you.

• I disagree. If someone asks for a source of information (e.g. a link) that I have already come across in the past in a forum like this, I give them that information and do not consider that work. I am not asking anyone to do research (i.e. work) for me. For me that is a difference that is important to me. If I ask people to work for me, I offer to pay them.

But, of course, if you see it that way, please delete the thread.

Peace.

• Ok, for anyone who's looking for the same: I have not found free information on the web with accurate numbers, however one can attempt to guesstimate from total sales figures, which seem to be between 10-20 miIlion units per year for DSLRs and mirrorless cams with interchangeable lense and some market share figures from Japan (which may or may not be representative of the global market shares) (http://m43photo.blogspot.de/2010/12/yearly-sales-statistics-from-japan.html). My guess is that gh1/gh2 out there will probably be a few hundred thousand while the cheaper models gf1/gf2 will probably be well over a million, maybe two, but this is all on a very shaky basis.