Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Best 5-7" HDMI monitor with focus peaking for under $500?
  • After buying a follow focus that gets in the way of my Varavon loupe, which I've been meaning to stop using anyway due to it burning holes in my LCD, I've decided to buy an HDMI monitor for my GH2 rig. My budget is around $500. My main priorities are focus peaking functionality, and a bright high-resolution screen (preferably with a matte finish). It would also be nice if it didn't weigh too terribly much, which makes me think that a 5" would be ideal... although 7" should be fine too.

Suggestions: go!

• 15 Replies sorted by
  • Look at the DP4 from smallhd.com - You can get it without the EVF for $450-ish - it really can't be beat, IMO.

• Thanks! That thing looks nice. I'd actually probably get the full EVF kit. $699 is a great deal, but slightly beyond my current budget. @Vitaliy_Kiselev any chance of getting a SmallHD special deal some time? :-)

• We have similar topic already http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/450/third-party-evfs-and-the-gh2#Item_17

Plus I have troubles understanding your needs. if you need EVF kit, it'll burn same holes, just on monitor.

If you need just monitor, SmallHD, if you do not count their super expensive announced stuff, are not really that good. You can check 5.6" monitor in our deals, it uses HYDIS AFFS+ panel that it good.

Considering deals, nope, won't happen.

• +1 on the burning holes thing! I had mine sitting on a table, out of sunlight and the damn house lights burnt two holes around the edge of the screen. Just crazy. As for a monitor, I tried another lilliput, the 665gl-70np/ho/y 7" and just used it on my first shoot. Not that impressed at all. Couldn't get the color right at all. The contrast was always off. I had to adjust it all day long so the director would not wonder what the hell I was doing and actually had to revert back to the VF to focus on a few occasions. I did have the better 7" Marshall before this so of course the color accuracy would not match that but I much prefer looking at the ole Marshall than this one. I also tried the 5d one from Liliiput and it has a whole bag of problems. Not sure if the DP4 is a good solution though. It's barely larger than the GH2's screen. People seem to be really happy with the one Vitaliy has on deals here from time time. I know it doesn't have the focus peaking but from what I've read, many people don't use it. I never used it on my Marshall. Just took too much time.

• People seem to be really happy with the one Vitaliy has on deals here from time time.

It is constantly available on deals, not from time to time.

I know it doesn't have the focus peaking but from what I've read

And it has peaking. Plus it has HYDIS AFFS+ panel that is more suitable for camera monitors compared with IPS (I am not talking about TN here).

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev thanks, that monitor looks like a great deal. Amazingly high resolution.

I'm not really looking for an EVF, but since the SmallHD monitor came with an EVF kit for not much more $$$, I was tempted. But I think I'll go with the special deal, instead. Besides, if I really want EVF functionality, I could build something like this, DIY-style: http://cinescopophilia.com/a-whopping-5-6-inch-tv-logic-electronic-viewfinder-evf/

• http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250885758852?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I like the look of this Ruige monitor, especially the zoom function for focus assist

• @mrbill

Yep, check topic about Ruige monitors. We offered them on deals. But Ruige made zero progress in last year. And this zoom button has one issue - it go in cycle between normal-focus assist and zoom.

They'll have some new monitors they are workin on, we'll see.

• Ah, I meant zoom or 1 to 1 Vitaliy , not focus peaking, my bad.

• I checked the Ruige thread as VK suggested - the 4.8'' monitor also looks good. I hope that we'll be able to do another personal-view deal with this manufacturer sometime soon.

• I hope that we'll be able to do another personal-view deal with this manufacturer sometime soon.

Right now I am not sure. Demand on their monitors is quite low now. :-(

If much more people will be interested we could arrange it.

• It seems they currently offer a seven inch (TL-S701HDA) and a five inch model (TL-S500HD).

The specs look fantastic for this kind of money.

• @mrbill

Do not see anything fantastic, really.

Also linking to dealers is prohibited here.

• For me, the zoom function is a winner. The links come direct from the Ruige website, not my intention to promote any dealers.

• I have no idea if the SmallHD DP4 is any good but I thought I'd mention that they're on sale today and tomorrow 8/22 and 8/23 and the price for the EVF version is within spitting distance of your budget.