Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
iMovie and frame rates
  • Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm trying to understand some of the processes going on in my work flow and I was hoping someone could assist. Just to clarify, I am not a professional, just a hobbiest so I apologize if I seem a little under-educated on some of these topics...

I shoot with a GH13 (thanks Vitaliy) and I use lpowell's "reliable in camera playback v2" patch (40Mbps FHD mode - AVCHD 1920x1080 24p video (interlaced)).

Heres the rub. When I import my files into iMovie it shows my frame rate as 30p and not 24p. As I understand it iMovie is converting my files into the apple intermediate codec (right?). My assumption also is that while my camera sensor is capturing 24p the AVCHD codec is wrapping it in a 60 field interlaced video. So what's going on here? Is iMovie removing the wrapper (ie. de-interlacing?), and if so why does it end up 30p vs 24p?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

JD
  • 1 Reply sorted by
  • I think you have confused de-interlacing with pull-down (telecine) removal; they're not the same thing. I use a PC so I use Cineform's NeoScene for pull-down removal. I'm sure somebody can tell you how to achieve that on a MAC.

Chris