Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 Hack help post
  • Hey guys, I'm new around these traps. I know I'm going to need my flame suit for posting a help thread but anyway.

Long story short, have been shooting on 5dII for a few years. Recently broke into the anamorphic world via a Iscorama 36.

Have a short film mapped out + script, i was going to shoot on my 5D which i decided to sell and move into GH2 world.

I have to learn this little beauty pretty fast as i want to shoot in the next week/week and a half.

• What is/are the cleanest and most usable and reliable hacks? i dont need 10000mb/sec, just something tidy and reliable, maybe around 44-70 mb/sec? willing to donate of course. I have fast SD cards BTW. Ive noticed Flow Motion V2 to be pretty sweet?

• Picture Profiles. I have looked into this a little bit but have not really found anything decent, I always shot with Cinestyle on my 5D. are there any 'log style' profiles out there? or anything nice and flat.

• Ill be shooting 1080 24p, from what i gather '24p cinema mode' recording AVCHD '24H' will be my best bet? not sure how the hack affects this.

• With regards to importing. My usual workflow is card in, MPEG Stream-clip and convert to ProRes 422 HQ, this is the right way to go about it yes?

• Not sure if this is a question best suited for here but, can i go as wide as 28mm on my GH2 with the Isco 1.5x squeeze without vignette? im fairly sure i can, just was hoping for some confirmation.

Once again, sorry for the shitty post just need some fast good answers.

Cheers, Rob.

• 8 Replies sorted by
    • Flow Motion 2 will do fine.
    • There is no Picture Profiles. Use Smooth -2 -2 -2 -2. You can raise saturation in case you scene does not contain strong colors.
    • You need to set the cam to 24SH for best quality. The hack just changes the bitrate (and matrix.. but don´t mind)
    • If you cut in Premiere on a fast machine you don´t need to transcode. Dunno about MPEG Stream-clip quality, did not touch for years. Check http://rarevision.com/5dtorgb/ if you need to trancode. Here is a batch for free version: http://www.noside.fr/5dtorgb-batch/ (might only work with older versions)
    • Can´t answer last question, sorry.

GL & HF ;)

• I think a 28 should be fine without vignetting, I used a generic 1,33 anamorphic on a 20mm without vignette (did get some with the diopter in front, it was the big Redstan one). A 1,5 anamorphic on a 28 would yield the same field of view as an 18 lens, while a 1,33 on a 20 would be the same as a 15mm, so you ought to be fine.

• Thanks guys,

My gh2 is arriving today and ill be putting the flowmotion v2.02 onto it.

Only question that is outstanding for me is what is the best way to get my files into Final cut pro?

I usually use MPEG STREAMCLIP to convert my 5D files into ProRes 422 HQ. WIll this be fine for the GH2 files or is there a better way to go about it?

cheers

• final cut pro x imports it as is, no conversion necessary, connect camera and import

• thanks, im using final cut pro 7! i dont like X haha.

sorry for the confusion

• @Meierhans hi, was wondering why you mentioned best setting 24SH? I though it was 24H? Thanks!

• yea it is 24H from what i gather, PS i have solved all my issues! flow motion working great, premier workflow sorted.

• im going to say go with sanity and work in 24h and u will be amazed at your footage.