Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
hack for one candle lighting
  • Hello all, I am asked to film a theater set with two characters sat at a table and only lit by one candle hand held by one of the two characters. Could someone recommend of a GH2 hack setting to use in that situation ? I will be using the pana 14 140 mm lens and a Nikkor f1.8 50 mm.

Thank you so much in advance.

• 17 Replies sorted by
  • Use CM Night and try to borrow a 1.2 lens or even a Nokton. Apart from that, going up to 3200 ISO and doing some cleaning with Neatvideo is all you can do.

• Thank you. I'll try CM Night.

• I did some one candle tests: vimeo.com/35196972

• try to rent or borrow a FS100. GH2 produces great results and I like it very much but under these conditions FS100 will perform way better.

• Apparently shooting with tungsten settings will help keep noise down and colors more accurate, too: http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4155/daylight-vs.-tungsten-and-the-winner-is...

• There are some special candles(double wick?) that burn brighter than stock, not sure where you can get them, but they're used in films. I wouldn't use anything slower than F3 in lowlight or you'll be in trouble.

IF your fine with B&W, you can use max hacked ISO and B&W and get a real nice image, much better than color at max iso. Another option.

• @CRFilms

Double wick candles www.wicksandwax.com/movie_candles.htm

• That's what Kubrick used in "Barry Lyndon", but I second getting a FS100, it's a night owl.

• @apefos I did some one candle tests: vimeo.com/35196972

Your test is really helpful. Which lens did you use ?

• if i can remember they was: sigma 20mm 1.8 canon fd 24mm 1.4 olympus penf 40mm 1.4 (all wide open)

• I think you must forget to use the 14-140mm. it is to slow for the purpose... you need lenses from f0.95 to f2.0

• @apefos

You are right. 14 - 140 is good glas, but need lot of light. I use lot oly 45 it is just great, and cheep.

• Modify a GH2 to be full spectrum. Then you can shoot IR and perhaps ultra violet.

I have a motified GF1 and it increases dynamic range by about 3 stops.

A modified GH2 could literally see in the dark.

• @mpgxsvcd

How do you modify a GH2 to be full spectrum ?

• Here's more about the use of the f0.7 Zeiss lens with Barry Lyndon

• @suzres Some guys have gone into their GH2s and removed the IR filters, which means the camera can record full spectrum light but needs a screw-in IR filter at all times when shooting normally. Not sure I get why this is a good idea, or when I'd ever use it. File it under "it can be done, so some people did it".

• Just get Nokton 25mm or 17.5mm ... if you can't afford FS100