Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Photokina team and Photokina questions collecting
  • As you may know, for some time we are making coverage of leading exhibitions using our ommunity members. Sometimes, of course, we are making stupid error, but we are learning fast.

So, it is time to make topic about upcoming Photokina.

Few key points:

1. Our coverage is donation based, with some help of our partners. So, remember to support us so we could pay more to the people who make the coverage.
    2. We like to make best coverage this time, as it is GH3 time and few new lenses. Some surprise cameras will be also present at Photokina.
    3. If you want to support our team, add photokina to your donation comment. And team will get your donation.

Team members requirements:

1. You need to have Photokina pass or tickets.
    2. You must have some prior skills shooting documentary or news. Including sound and lighting. As we already saw that people who do not have such skill can ruin most of the footage.
    3. You must have most of the gear (it means. at least led light, some rig and some sound gear). We could help slightly here, but not much due to the reasons explained in key points.
    4. You must be able to deliver content fast, same day. Making amazing interview and deliver it next month is not an option. Usually this point require some computer and editing skills, like properly encoding and finding places with good internet spped (your hotel can suck badly here).

Post your thoughts in this topic or send me PM.

• 59 Replies sorted by
  • Hello Vilaliy, Team or not, I will be at the Photokina again as I was 2 years ago. I live only 1 hour drive away from cologne. My interest is in the GH3 and I will try to find out an much as possible about it. If members have questions that I shall ask it would be good to collect them here and make a list. Just a suggestion.

• Thanks. Yep, I am sure that you'll help us very much. But idea is to have ability to pay people for their work and try to keep up good quality and delivery speed. For you alone it can be hard.

IF you want to discuss something, like some gear you are missing, send me PM.

• Also going to Photokina, if my bank account will let me, also gonna document the Panny announcements

• Hello to all,

we would like to collect the questions you have about the GH3 here tha ti can ask during the Photokina. Vitaliy will sum them up and put them on top of the thread so one can see, which questions have been asked already.

Some questions may be pretty sure already, because the G5 has them implemented, but still important to know, if the GH3 has them really.

Will the GH3 have

• 1080/50p or 60p?
    • 720/120p or 240p or what p will it have?
    • focus tracking in video mode installed now finally?
    • HDMI out: what specifications? If you have specific questions there, please write.
    • weather sealed body?
    • a shutter to take photos without sound?
    • the same batteries as the GH2?
    • 2 SD card slots?
  • I think a good question for manufacturers is:

Are you thinking about to release a dslr capable of HDR video merging two streams form same sensor into one video file? something like magic lantern hdr video, but using different iso in adjacent pixels instead off different iso in adjacent frames?

• Vitalliy i could be on photokina on the weekend.

I got 2 gh's(one is running flowmotion another one Cluster).

A RED Pro Kit Rig from GiniRigs.

A Ntg2 (i link it into the gh2 with a sescom cable and a special adapter).

A walimex Pro Bi-Color LED Video Light with 312 LED.

4 Sandisk 16 gb 45 MB/s extreme cards.

2 Sandisk 32 gb 45 MB/s extreme cards.

A Follow focus.

A Macbook.

I got some experience(mainly weddings from people around my area and family birthdays.

I could go to Photokina over the weekend i would get there at 22:40 on friday evening and could stay till 13:00 on sunday which means i would have 1 full day and a half day to do interviews.

But i would only go if you guys cover one night(at a cheap hotel) and the price of 2 tickets for the photokina and the costs for travelling by train(about 170 euro in total).

I am from Regensburg.

• But i would only go if you guys cover one night(at a cheap hotel) and the price of 2 tickets for the photokina and the costs for travelling by train(about 84 euros).

You mean 84 EUR total?

• no for the train ride(42 to get there and 42 to get back) 47 euro for the tickets and about 40 euros for the room. so 84+47+30 = so about 170 euros in total (will pay for my own food(as i need to eat anyway).

• I would offer helping out, i'm a local here in beautiful Cologne & be there anyway. I'm working weekends so no time to deliver full feature. But fore one day i could help out assisting, shooting B-Roll etc. I'm jobbing in a nice & cheap Backpacker's Hostel near Central Station so can give you guys some info on spare rooms tomorrow Or check out http://www.hostel-cologne.de

• The link doesn't work for me is it the same hostel as this one > http://www.koeln-hostel.de/ ?

Updatet the total cost in both posts.

• OK, if we'll be able to rise 170 EUR for this, we could thing about it.

Do you have some examples of your work?

• Yeah but they are all from private weddings and birthdays(i have no right to publish them online), just tell me a subject and i will go out and shoot some examples.

• @AKED

Three questions I would add for the GH3 are:

Does it have focus peaking?

Does it have full manual audio control?

Is the anti-aliasing filter the same as on the GH2? (this would be a good thing)

• @kurolaw: Server was down. Works now... It's called STATION HOSTEL. I do Nightshift later, just send Request to: station@hostel-cologne.de

• Is it still possible to get a single room,as i don't want my cameras to be in a room with 8 persons? Can you give us as some kind of special price(because you work there)? i won't send a request yet as i am not sure if the trip gets financed by the board. I am a student so my personal budget is very tight. How good is the Internet connection at the hostel?

• @ Ralph_B I will ask that. Btw, I use Sanity 5 and am very happy with it

• @kurolaw @mikidora I live close to that hostel. I can also offer assistance with shooting, editing, encoding, uploading or storing equipment.

Not 100% sure about my timetable in September and I am also not very comfortable with trade fair chaos… but this year I might get tempted.

• antil12 that would be useful, mainly having a good Internet connection and a place where i can edit would be a great help. I would be in cologne from the 22 to 23 September(if the funding pays the costs(i am a student so money is always tight). Vitaliy i need a message if the founding is ok in the next 5 days(as i will have to book a room and buy the cards).

• Vitaliy i need a message if the founding is ok in the next 5 days(as i will have to book a room and buy the cards).

I am always ok. But we need donations to support you.
    People could also have some problems, as I do not see any examples of your work.

• Still 4 weeks to go, the cheaper online tickets can be bought right until the fair opens.

http://www.photokina.com/en/photokina/fuer_besucher/eintrittskarten_katalog/index.php http://www.photokina.de/de/photokina/fuer_besucher/eintrittskarten_katalog/index.php

Not sure if the last days of the fair (Family Weekend) are the best time for a visit. By then most of the interesting News might already be on the internet.

• Vitaliy just tell me a subject an i will shoot some work samples for it, vitaliy i should have written secured instead of ok

antil i am a student so i can only go on the weekend.

I can not publish any wedding videos i shot as i have no rights to publish em.

• @kurolaw

I need some fast paced intervew in the noisy environment full of people and litte light. Edited and uploaded.

Btw, do you have some good camcorder?

• Well vitaliy i have 2 gh2's but no camcorder.

Why would i own a camcorder if i have a gh2?

The GH2 is the best camera i have ever had(and i had a 5d mark II and a Canon XH-A1)

I will make a interview as soon as possible(can take a while thought (as i have to work till the end of next week)(summer job).

• Guys, can you, please post or Pm me the dates you'll be on Photokina?

So, we could get some rough picture.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions