Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
what needs to be replaced when GH2 is bricked
  • 3 months wait and $200 dollars so beware with 3rd party batteries when updating firmwares comrades!!!!

gh2 board.jpg
    1134 x 638 - 239K
  • 12 Replies sorted by
  • I'd say you were lucky. I thought they charged $325.00 to replace a screw,

• From where did you ordered a mainboard for the gh2 ??

• My advice is avoid third party bats like the plague. My camera broke down 3 months ago, and I spent $300 replacing the entire circuit board. Prior to the break down, my camera had started rejecting the original panasonic bats. I kept getting dialogue boxes telling me the camera could not recognise the original bats!! I suspect the third parties must have screwed up something in the mechanism, confusing the sensors or something. I threw away all my third parties, and have since used only originals.

• Main pcb replacement should cost no more than $170 dollars. If they are authorised Panasonic Service centre.

• Can anyone confirm this? Can 3rd party batteries cause bricking during normal operation? I would certainly not update firmware with them, I'm talking about normal usage.

• camera cant read lifespan of 3rd party batteries, so you have no way of knowing whether the bats are full or empty. I have heard horror stories where the individual thought he had fully charged the bat, used it for hacking only for the bat to fail during the procedure. Avoid 3rd party bats like the plague

• @kazuo: I heard you the first time, you are repeating yourself. I upgrade firmware only with original batteries. It makes sense to brick the board if one loses power during flashing the EEPROM. It would happen with an original battery as well, that's why the manual insists on using fully charged batteries. Now, can someone confirm that replacement batteries do any damage during regular operation? The only issue I'm aware of is losing the last take, as the camera doesn't get a chance to close the file on the card.

• @radikalfilm thats abit much mate. how about you do a search yourself and see if your scenario has been played out yet? i have never heard of it happening. the only thing that may happen is 3rd party battery leaking or catching fire due to poor QC causing physical damage..not bricking during opperation.

• About one year ago, 3rd party battery ruined me one important, long take. The file was just short before the spanning and at ca 3,9GB my GH2 just died. With original battery, the GH2 stops, saves the file and shuts down. With 3rd party, camera works until total exhaustion of the batt and shuts down without warning....and without file saving. Whole the file was ruined. I've recovered that file with one recovering software and all I got were hunderds of short 3-5 sec files, without any order. I could not use it, as many puzzle parts were still missing.

I agree with @kazuo, avoid 3rd party batteries like the plague.

• @peternap: You were lucky! I had a grain of sand in the battery compartment and their service charged me full price of a new camera to remove it. Then they charged me for a trip and 5* hotel to the beach to return the sand grain. They also made me eat a full bucket of it, so I wouldn't forget not to do it again. ;)

• Hi The 3rd party battery turn of my gh2 when hacking. I dont have a warrianty any more.

What its the best option to do?

thx guys