Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Best gh2 post method for optimum quality
  • I'm shooting a short soon. Just wondered what is suggested I do after I shot to have the files in best possible quality for editing in premiere. I'm referring to things like is it best to use the files straight out of camera or should I convert to another file type first, etc. etc. ? Thanks!

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • We use 5dtorgb batch, and convert the files to full range 709 - proress 422, this provides us more headroom in post (grading wise) but causes banding issues if a scene is not correctly exposed in a good 4-7 stop range

• Check out this video:

he responded to a comment with this: 1080p on youtube is a fairly low bitrate and full of artifacts. Upscaling to 4k lets the viewer on youtube watch a much higher quality supersampled "1080p" version that blows away any other online video streaming service. 

I really think that's dead on, so I think upscaling to 4k is probably a good idea.

• What about if I plan on showing it on a large screen? Thanks!

• Upscaling won't improve the quality, of the video, if it's screened as original file. (unless it will be compressed)

• @sicovdplas

I think he talking more about "tricking" youtube into compressing the file better. The 1080p uploads to youtube are awful. But up-scaling to 4k allows for better compression or bandwidth from youtube's player it seems. Must just be a better compression method or something.

• I haven't used in methods yet. I'm planning on sending this short out to festivals to be shown on a large screen. I was just wondering the best steps to take to make sure I have the best quality video for editing for the big screen. Should I convert the files, adjust them in anyway, etc., or are the files out off the camera the quality I need. Thanks everyone!