Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
tv news 16 mm in the 60's
  • I've noticed that many old documentaries/tv news programs of the 50/60's were shooted in 16mm with very tight FoV..they seem to be shooted with a 50mm lens as "fake"normal even when they use 16mm cameras...just a matter of taste of the 60s?

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • They used the CP 16 a lot and that camera is a tank. I used it quite a bit in school way back in the day. A lot of them utilized the Angenieux zooms. They were pretty much like the first ENG video cams in that you could record sound through them onto the mag stripe single perf raw stock.

• My dad shot tv news in Memphis, TN during the 70's. He said that right about when their film setup was nice and compact and easy to transport that they switched to video which had a heavy camera with a separate recording deck and he and the other camera guys really hated it.

• Plus, it looked like shit.

• haha, it sure did.

• I worked for CBS in New York in the 60s. They shot on Auricon and had a motorcycle fleet to get the footage back by around 4PM. The Ektachrome proccessors were run at about 10% over spec temperature to shorten the processing time. VO was recorded on 16mm mag. A synchronizer was used to assemble A and B rolls which were loaded onto telecines with the VO and the 3 telecines were switched in real time for the broadcast.

• thank you for your reply!

• @rockroadpix @Jspatz

The CP16 did look like rubbish using Ektachrome 260 Reversal.

The Ektachrome proccessors were run at about 10% over spec temperature

What's worse, it was often telecine'd so that each grain seemed to have its own halo. I did get decent results shooting TV ads in the 80's with same camera but with slower stocks. (There was a time when TV stations were converting to video and indy film makers could pick up 16mm cameras, Steenbeck editors, as much as you could carry, virtually from the studio back door!)

I don't recall anything but zoom lenses fitted to these. (Yes, often Angenieux 17-76) They were used extensively during the Vietnam War and on Australian city streets during anti-war demonstrations.

• I only used the CP-16 with 7248 and 7296. No reversal, but with a bolex in Film 1.