Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Time wasting
  • For many people it is like sport.

They are getting something not very suitable up to the task and after this spend months solving problems and making workarounds.

Modern video players are good example. People get network players (like Realtek based things) or use Blu Ray players with network capabilities.

It is very interesting that new small nettops are going for this market and will be here soon (as ready solution, not as DIY thing they had been).

Take this thing:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-E450-nettop.html?SearchText=E450%2Bnettop&CatId=0&manual=y&SortType=price_asc&SortType=y&filterCat=70803003

With price for shipped thing around $300 this thing plays anything (with support for 3D hardware acceleration, etc), including not very complex PC games.

Of course, for now it requires you to install OS and players.

But stripping RAM and completely eliminating HDD (fast tiny USB stick, or on board SSD are enough) it can be turned to good and cheap player / game console / surf PC.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • I don't think this is meant to be a video player... for that price it is expensive.. you can get much cheaper ones, that will play anything as well (and you can have SSD in those too)...

And this thing is in price of small notebook, with similar performance, just without display... IMO - complete fail :)

• I don't think this is meant to be a video player...

And you carefully read the post?

IMO - complete fail :)

Issue is that you do not understand the topic. Never tried this players, so your IMHO has zero value, unfortunately.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I get what you are saying. Computing power is getting cheaper and servers are getting smaller. I have a US patent for a server that takes the place of a light switch!

It handles environmental control with a screen the size of an iphone and takes power from the "switch" wiring. Computers are already the size of "wall warts" so I figured a better place to put them for use as LANS.

• What is the problem with all the Android based media players? they all seem powerful enough for 1080p playback, have video acceleration, come with an OS, are software upgradeable for format changes and cheaper to boot?

Or spend just $30 more for the same e450 apu in laptop package, unless you're going for the most compact footprint possible I don't see the point.

• What is the problem with all the Android based media players?

Get one. Or spend some time researching this field. To be short - this things are highly problematic.

Or spend just $30 more for the same e450 apu in laptop package,

Can you tell me why I need crappy laptop instead of small nettop made for the task?

• http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zotac-ZBOX-ZBOX-ID80-U-Nettop-D2700-2-13GHz-GeForce-GT-520M-/200780381010

Is also good solution, add USB 3.0 flash stick, RAM and you are ready. GT 520M must play all necessary video content, most probably even Premiere will run.