Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
DR-100 recording issues need help
  • I just did a short the previous weekend and the audio was recorded on a Tascam DR-100...I was the DP but Im taking flak. I dont know what the heck happened but the recorded audio its a frickn' mess... the levels are barely there except the slates...the noise in the signal is really bad and I know it wasnt the expensive Seinheisser I have been using for years... which on all my own stuff always comes out really clean and nice.

Too me it almost sounds like it was recording both the boom and the on-recorder mics... but the levels of the signal are barely there in Audition or Soundtrack except the slate claps. One thing that is weird is that it was eating batteries for breakfast must have went through 20 batteries in 3 hours or so...

ANYWAYS...I need help not sure what to do the whole movie is ruined.

NOTE Oh and yeah I caught the mp3 thing after the 1st card dump- scolded the sound guy- even the 24 bit WAVS are the same state...

Screen shot 2012-07-06 at 1.12.51 PM.png
    1440 x 900 - 213K
  • 14 Replies sorted by
  • The DR100, for dialog, needs the levels up around 7 or 8 usually. What were your peaks during recording? Was anyone watching them? 20 batteries in 3 hours is all wrong. Either the batteries were bad or there's an issue with the unit. The 100 is actually pretty good on battery life.

Also, was the mic switch set to XLR? if not, you might have been recording from the internal mics. That could account for the weak levels.

• I am tempted to think that The guy who owned it and set it up had it set wrong.After all he left in MP3 mode the whole first location...however He had another recoding on there that didnt delete and its clear and clean...I gave him a much better mic than the Azden ones he had...so It wasnt the mic...but I just find it hard to believe that with the cans on you wouldn't notice the fact that the boom was doing anything in terms of the audio you were hearing... to me the audio almost sounds mixed like half boom half on recorder is that possible?...also it recorded all the sound mono channel in a stereo signal? I was too busy working with the GH2's and doing my job to babysit the audio so at this point I can only speculate. I wish I knew what levels they set it to but in hindsight its all too late I have to just take the sound to a sound guy and pay them to do the best clean up they can I think.

• @No_SuRReNDeR Which model Sennheiser are you using? Like it's not an old 'T' powered 416 plugged into the 48v phantom input of the DR-100? That would screw things up!

Check your mic cables/wiring/connectors etc.

Did you use your own mic cable or one that was supplied?

This is just a hunch but I'm thinking something could have been loading the phantom power supply (maybe a fault/short) causing both excessive power consumption and loss of levels.

• @No_SuRReNDeR If both channels were getting audio that was out of phase and then summed to mono then it could be a signal cancellation problem?

• @pundit I use it with the old Canon XH_A1 all the time on 48v Phantom power... I think theres a 66 in the model name but again I am not sure its about 5 years old...

I think its this one...

http://compare.ebay.com/like/190643416128?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

The XLR cable is OK I checked it. Not sure about the latter statement... but the one channel seems to have something on it...its just hardly there.

At this point I'm thinking I'm just screwed I cant boost the signal without boosting the noise...

• All the slates are really strong peak...I know they should be...But they seem much higher than I would expect.

• I use the ME66/k6 all the time. I wonder if you had the mic's on board internal power ON and the Tascam's 48v phantom switched ON as well. I'm still puzzled about the battery consumption. I've used the hell out of my tascam and never consumed that many batteries.

I'm skeptical about a soundie fixing a problem like that in post. ADR may be in your future...

• Well I would guess if the battery was in and it was on ...it was a dead battery so I dont think it would affect it.

I just hope I dont get the blame on the ADR future... how its my fault as DOP is baffling to me. I busted my ass to get amazing shots and show off the power of the Gh2 and Driftwood's hacks... damn shame it is.

• First off, do not do anything to the recording media. Chances are, whatever the audio is, that is what you have. And if the levels are too low, chances are the gain was set too low. However, you changed from MP3 to PCM, so it is possible your DAW could be reading the header wrong. It is very unlikely, but possible. So first thing is to make a backup, then play the original media in the machine that recorded it. See if there is any sound. Again, very unlikely, you are just double checking. Then if you are stuck with that sound, you probably should use the in-cam sound, or run the gain way up with some serious NR. How far can you push the sound in post? Well, if it is 24 bit--at least some of it--you can push it 24 dB and you are still around 20 bits resolution. The problem is, you will be boosting the noise as well. Chances are the cam sound will be a bit better. You will want to load it on a real DAW with high res internal processing, or the cheapest copy of Samplitude, for example.

• it sounds to me like it was set to "line" instead of "Mic" input. This happened to me once. I boosted the audio in soundtrack pro by jacking up the volume, sampled the background noise and filtered it out. then used a compressor to bring the levels up again, and re-sampled the new background noise and filtered it out. It ain't perfect but it's better than nothing.

• It could very well be a line input thing. Depends on what the input stage actually does, and whether there is +48 on the input, impedance, and so on. But the solution is still the same, boost and filter. But you need minimum 32 internal processing to boost the gain that much. Well, I guess it will sound pretty rough anyway. Another option is to mix it in parallel with the camcorder sound. Grasping at straws, but it might give you a better s/n ratio. Lastly, check each track to see if one track is hotter, then pick that one and process it in mono if it is noticeably better.

• @No_SuRReNDeR

One thing - one topic. Next time, use DR-100 topic.

• Sorry VK didnt realize it had its own topic already.

• The on camera stuff is decent in close quarters but yeah I too now suspect Shian is right I think he had it set to line level. Thanks DR.Dave Im gonna see whats usable from cam and try some of the suggested ideas.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions