Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Will my sennheiser G2 EW100 work in the uk after digital switchover?
  • Hi, I'm under the impression that some frequencies are going to be used for different things past December 31st 2012 in the uk.

Will my Sennheiser G2 ew100 wireless radio mic (Freq range 830-866 mhz) be affected? And if so what can I do about it.

Thanks a lot Jon

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • That is called the unregulated spectrum 830-866 MHz it wont be affected in anyway by the digital switchover

• Yes, things are changing from October. The UK's new radio mic frequency spectrum is in Channel 38 with Belfast getting 606 - 613 MHz (not sure if that is the same across the UK). The 800MHz range is being sold off for 4G telephone networks. The UK goverment is offering a scrappage scheme of 55% of the replacement costs of new equipment if you register your old gear with Ofcom.

• @energy80s is this the right place? it says registration is closed?!

http://www.shareview.co.uk/clients/Ofcom/Default.htm

• @Jon2323 yes that looks about right, and does look like the scheme has now closed. I wasn't personally involved with sorting our radio mics out (BBC NI) but was working with the team who were. We still haven't sent any back for refurbishment (Microns) so don't know when that will happen. But I imagine all of our Sennheiser kits will be replaced before the end of the year.

Digital switchoff here is scheduled for Friday 24th October and that should be all analogue TV signals gone from UHF across the UK.

• @energy80s Thanks for this. It says on the site something about having a licence? Do people who use this little clip on mics need licences?! I don't. Is that the only way to get a scrappage offer?

Thanks

• I know that there are specific licensed frequencies for the BBC, but a lot of the time we use any clear channel in the 830-860 range on an OB. I'm not sure what way the scrappage scheme worked for the unlicensed radio mics. Your best bet would be to contact them - also to see if you can still apply for compensation.

• Ok, I have a US version that is now illegal, perhaps we can swap :)