Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Style Manual Example for a Network Show
  • This is a fascinating document about how guest directors should shoot to be consistent with the preferred style for a popular network show

http://www.scribd.com/doc/98046378/Push-Daisies-Style-Manual

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Very interesting inside look into one concious approach. I also think it is very healthy for a lot of aspiring filmmakers to realize that director doesn't equal GOD creator. Someimes they're just someone who overlooks the execution of a vision. Although I've heard that's especially true in TV.

I find this guide quite good: "The producers request that you let the actors get a reading of the scene, on the set, under their belt before you block the scene for them.We know that time is of the premium, and you want to get the crew in thereto start lighting as soon as possible, but, A CLOSED SET rehearsal, with the director, executive producers, DP, script supervisor, and prop person toquickly work out the scene before the crew sees it ultimately saves time, solves problems and embarrassments, and invests our fine cast into themaking of the show."

I find this often a really good way to work, especially when the directors hasn't blocked everything beforehand with shotslits and storyboards - although it's tempting as it mentiones to rush to setting everything up straight away. Sometimes the only way to realise a situation and solve problems is with the actors, on the floor, trying it out. It also helps the whole crew a lot to work efficiently and orient themselves when they've seen it fleshed out.

Also - I find it amusing that they'd put "The conformist" to the list of film references, in between "Men in Black" and "Addams Family". I suppose that film is always good to watch for everything!

• Great find! I've often thought about directors on TV-shows, as they tend to be just about the only thing that gets changed out a lot and aren't thought of as the auteurs of a show (that being left to the "showrunner", a writer) and how it must be to adhere to so many different styles, to remain consistent within the show. This was a nice little insight I think.

• Really a fascinating document, thanks for posting it.