Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Microsoft Surface

FullHD display, etc.

Nvidia Tegra ARM version and Intel versions.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/18/microsoft-major-announcement-livelog/

• 24 Replies sorted by
  • I really though that people will be unable to trash normal keyboards more than Lenovo and Acer designers.
    Nope, Microsoft must be the first in every hole. With their new competitior for the crown of thinnest and most unusable, but good looking keyboard.

• I'd say use it first before judging. I don't hold much hope, but I'll give it a chance.

• Its Intel, It's Windows, can install PP or AE and process on the go :) But I'll be fine with my Android tablet on the meantime

• Yeah, it runs programs......that makes me interested. One of them has an IvyBridge. Never cared for iPad.

• Each version will be buggy for only the first three or four years and then they will be OK - kinda ;-]

• I am interested in the Pro: Intel tech and Digital Ink (pen input). I also hope it will force Apple to come with iPad Pro or similar. Real competition is always good. You may or may not like Metro, but their unified strategy for Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Xbox and now Surface is only good for the consumer. People will adopt quickly and it will either be huge failure or huge succes for Microsoft.

• Also opens the opportunity for SmartGlass that was demoed a couple of months back. Contextual companion device for PC and XBOX.

With a slow but steady shift to BYOD/enterprise consumerisation, this is well placed to do well in the work place too.

• Keyboard+tablet=laptop, invented by Bill Moggridge (GRiD), good idea!

• It looks good, I like it.

In my view the ARM version is an iPad competitor and the Intel Ivy Bridge version is an Air 11" competitor.

@adamquesada

Its Intel, It's Windows, can install PP or AE and process on the go :)

On a 10" screen it wouldn't be comfortable.

• Btw, almost forgot to note.

This tablets have same horrible digital ink approach used by almost any tablet or older tablet pc. I mean sluggish and with significant delay. Trace of your pen do not appear instantly. This part is completely fucked due to developers paying no attention to drivers and ink system in OS. If you ever worked with digital pen, you know how different is expirience if you have almost zero delay.

• I also have one question.

Why all this guys talk about unique design for tablets and touch phones that all look the same (and really are almost the same)?
    What is so unique about 22 degrees? 23 degrees is against Feng shui or what?
    Does it require 20 designers to come with 22 degrees number? Or 20 is still not enough?

• well... I thought there were many problems with it during the show, and I got a little irritated with the amount of time they spent on talking about the outside feel of the tablet. Honestly? I think I'll get a Laptop and an Android tablet instead. One for creating content, one for showing off to clients. No need for flimsy keyboard.

• I thought there were many problems with it during the show,

I think he was just too nervous :-)

got a little irritated with the amount of time they spent on talking about the outside feel of the tablet.

Generally, I like this. Feel is very important for tablet.

I think I'll get a Laptop and an Android tablet instead.

I am all for trinity. Laptop with good keyboard (I mean top Lenovo offers here, despite their endless efforts to make amazing IBM Thinkpad keyboards worse and worse), Win tablet for travel and presentations, and 7" Android tablet for reading and other similar activity.

• I'm intrigued (being a windows user), I just wonder about specs, ram, battery, price, etc...

I like the idea of a tablet form factor with full windows environment (pro), yet the ability to have a laptop like functionality with keyboard/stand.

We'll see I guess!

• Since it's coming out soon, does anyone know can this combination supports playing hacked AVCHD videos through USB SD card reader.

I guess the question is... firstly can it play the HD videos for quick on-site testing and secondly does the USB port supports SDHC card reader?

Thanks

• Just get Chinese tablet for small part of Microsoft shitty thing price, as I am not sure that this thing wil have good media player soon :-)

Ala http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4674/chinese-manufacturers-almost-catched-leaders#Item_5

• I checked one out at the Microsoft store last night. I didn't hate it. If I had money to burn (which I don't) I would get one to see if I enjoyed using it.

The flat keyboard was OK. I typed a few sentences on it with one mistake. The physical keyboard is definitely better. I think you could get used to the flat keyboard, but if this was going to be your primary laptop I'd go with the raised keys.

The magnetic hinge was very tight. The cover isn't going to fall off with regular use. One thing I missed was the magnetic lock on the iPad so the cover doesn't flop around. Other than that it was fine.

Design was nice. Screen had the right feel when you touch it. Felt very sturdy. Lighter than a laptop. Heavier than an iPad with the keyboard attached. The stand on the back is fine. But unlike a laptop you can't adjust the angle. So its one fit for all.

I think the UI was really designed for touch as we've all heard. Having the physical keyboard made it easier especially when using the traditional desktop. I installed windows rtm on my PC and while I have no real problems using it, you can tell that this it is meant for touch.

Who is this tablet for? I guess its really for anyone who wants it. Its not a laptop in terms of power. So not really for the pros or gamers. But that leaves a lot people who are not pros or gamers. It has the potential to be very useful in business but I'd really have to use it for a few weeks to see if I liked it. And if you are a pro there's still desktops and more powerful laptops, some of which have a touchscreen which actually seem to com in handy.

With the Xbox and new tablets, Microsoft are poised for something bigger. I think they have to work out a lot of kinks and develop lots more apps. I think these are more living room products at this time with lots of room for improvement.

• Oprah said of the new tablet, "The Surface, Microsoft's first tablet, feels like a Mercedes-Benz to me, people! The full-size keyboard built right into the cover makes work easy, the very smart kickstand makes watching a movie or Skyping a friend a delight, the less than a pound-and-a-half weight makes a great alternative to a laptop, and the many other features make it fun for work and play. Now, that's a wowser!"

LOL

• LOL re Oprah. Oprah is prob worst thing to come out of America - she's just a clown with a legion of clown-like followers. But she's good at making money and I guess Microsoft paid her to talk garbage about their Surface tablet. I just tried one at the mall. I guess Microsoft is trying to push these hard with in mall displays. Bottom line - keyboard very hard to use as buttons don't always work. Screen responsiveness to touch is hit and miss as well. It just doesn't work that well. I've used iPads and like. I've used Google Nexus and liked. I tried Toshiba Excite and it's pretty good. But the Surface is no good. Plus expensive. For that price just get an iPad.

• Thanks to Oprah, I want Nexus 10.

• Hi guys! Sorry for bringing this up but its quite urgent.

I saw the topic been discussed here:

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/4921/convertible-notebooks-as-tablets-alternative/p1

And I was really wondering, would the Blackmagic Ultrastudio SDI work on a Microsoft Surface Pro??

Please let me know! Thanks!