Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Who needs big budget lighting when you have a GH2?
  • This was made with 3 normal light-bulbs, and 1 work lamp. Literally all the resources I have available to me as a poor college student. I think the result came out quite well under these conditions. Let me know what you think!

http://i.imgur.com/XgA03.jpg

• 14 Replies sorted by
  • Looks nice for what you've shot and the grade, and I totally agree, in this scenario you don't have to have super expensive lighting setups.

But, if this has been a narrative peace with a few wider establishing shots, you're going to struggle to light the whole room with your budget lights. Plus, if this was being blown up onto a digital projector, you'd maybe wanting a bit more detail in your darker areas, which you'd achieve with better lighting.

Regardless, it's a nice peace and you've used what was available to you very well.

• Very good video :) which lens have you used? Have you used the big worklight as backlight/rim light?

• Very nice, you did a good job with the set up. The key to what you did was realizing the limitations of your resources, this is something that can take a LOT of filmmakers a while to learn. So in that regard, you're ahead of the curve. I like the grade and the flare. The only thing that I would have done in your situation, is soften the key a little bit more. A layer of opal would have done the trick. Like I said, "Good job".

• @albertz I used the canon FD 50 1.4 wide open, and yes I have used the work-light as a back-light before. I basically bought it for that purpose, and it only cost $5 at home depot. I would definitely recommend it.

@itimjim I definitely agree, If I had taken any wide shots you would have seen we were in a dark small room, and unfortunately this wasn't even the room we planned on filming on. We thought we were going to have a stage with stage lights available to us, but the stage was being used by someone else! That's why I am particularly happy because this random mess up of a situation turned out not so bad. :]

• That is the true joy of filmmaking... when an issue turns into something golden.

• I also shot this video with very minimal lighting. All I used was a flood light, small led light, and a red blanket.

• Like the look of the video and it has some nice production value. Nice job! ...but I hate covers. ...with a passion. Sorry. I know it wasn't you and it's slightly OT... but it's just a pet peeve of mine. Can't help it. :p

• @DeShonDixon Good work, could you attach please an image to make me understand what kind of led light have you used?

@deturbanator thanks for all the information about worlights used as backlight.Your worklight wasn't snooted or have barndoors to control light?

• No the worklight I bought did not home with barndoors, but im sure you could put some together in a DIY project. I know they also sell LED worklights at home depot for around 60$, and it produces a more focus light, but it isnt as strong as the normal worklamp.

• This looks good considering the resources available. But let's be honest, you can get better results with a full inventory of pro lights. So "Who needs big budget lighting???" People who want the best possible look want it.

• This looks really good, but not everyone just shoots closeups at wide apertures.

• Nice vid, minimal, but great outcome- except for the bridge, where you put the cam beside her and she looks straight in the other direction, a little distracting. Also, I liked the song very much, until i read it is a coversong, which always makes me wonder why people dont sing their own songs, I bet they have some great ones already! :) they seem talented.