Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Panasonic Lumix division, it is time to change!

• If other divisions can do it, why can't you?

http://developer.vieraconnect.com/

P.S. And I must say that they are not alone, all major TV manufacturers introduced or plan to introduce similar approach for their TV sets.
  • 8 Replies sorted by
  • Are you suggesting they have better device integration, more multiusage and convergence, or an appstore?
  • I am suggesting that they need SDK and application development for their cameras.
    Want Magic Looks like processing with tunable 1001 parameters inside you cam? Here you are.
    Want viseo in lossy 10bit RAW format out of your camera? Here is link to necessary encoder plugin.
    May be MJPEG 444 encoded 1080p24? Same shit.
  • I'm not sure all of the stuff they show there are using SDKs, I don't think it allows direct hardware level access and the stuff that does is probably developed inhouse.

Though it would be great if I was wrong
  • I totally agree this is the way forward. An eco-system of apps and add-ons would revitalise the tired old digi-cam, the question is - do Panasonic have the computing staff to produce the SDK? Probably not in the Lumix division at least. They are quite old-school and not used to open systems I think.
  • @EOSHD

I can tell you this.
    If manegment tell them to go this way, they'll do it. And do it very good.
    Today Lumix division has best camera platform (both in design and price) , years ahead of competition.
    And it is managment (or their advisers) that wastes such advantage on producing another small camera, but this time in pink color.
  • Their conservative management is following the market, they should try leading it for bigger gains in the long term. But that takes risks. And it seems 'risk' has become a dirty word in product development and marketing!
  • Panasonic is in the best position to go forward.

Olympus has 43 dead weight.
    Sony has Alpha dead weight.
    Samsung is... maybe... Android based firmware?
    Pentax... who cares.
    Canon and Nikon doing nothing about mirrorless.

Go for SDK!!! Release the hounds!!!!
  • I'd say Olympus have done pretty well in shrugging off the 43 dead weight, it's all about the PENs for them since they make the most profit. They have done a superb job with the EP3, faster AF than a Nikon D3X and the 12mm F2 was just what the system needed... can't wait to try it on the GH2.

Samsung will bring out some new NX cameras soon, I doubt they will be first to the apps though.

Pentax can take a few risks they don't have as much to lose as Canon or Nikon, but they probably lack the strength in depth and brave enough management.

Canon's mirrorless is coming out next year (according to their head of Cameras division in an interview with Reuters).

Whoever releases a camera with apps, SDK and app store will clean up a large section of the consumer digicam market in no time... if only they realised this. For the conservative management of Japanese giants, even Sony, it is like the iPhone never existed! Look at Sony with their PSP - only now does it have the convergence and apps of a modern device... and now is too late. Go to where the ball is going, don't just follow it...