Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Vimeo blocked in India
  • Popular video-sharing Web sites like Vimeo and The Pirate Bay were blocked this week by two of India’s major Internet service providers, cutting millions of people from the Web sites

Via: http://india.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/05/18/video-sharing-sites-mysteriously-blocked-in-india/

I really have hard time understanding that Vimeo and PirateBay have in common.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev I agree - I would understand blocking YouTube as it has a bit of pirated stuff, but not Vimeo, which is all original work. Personally I'm not a big fan of music companies (for example) trying to block Pirate Bay to protect their own dinosaur-like business models, but that's another story!

• Piratebay has been blocked here in UK by my service provider over the past week. A nice notice shows me that Virginmedia are ordered by the courts to block filesharing websites. So it begins... Not all stuff is original on Vimeo...many use copyrighted music for their video slideshows and those music dinosaurs wanna have all the kerching! ;-)

• For many many years, I was very pro-copyright (as a musician, I have a CD on Amazon, but more generally I worked for years in the BBC, which was extremely careful about copyright).

Now, I feel differently. I believe that when big businesses talk about protecting music, it's always about protecting their own interests. They would love us to go back to the days of buying records and CDs in a shop, but since the world has moved on, they instead lobby governments (like ours in the UK) who are equally as dinosaur-like in their brute misunderstanding of what technology can do and is doing for us.

Thanks to the internet we have access to amazingly talented people (and yes, a lot of non-talent, but that's in the eye / ear of the beholder). And what's really exciting for me is that we have the choice to produce and distribute, as well as to consume.

Unfortunately, the big record companies don't "get" that - or if they do, they don't care, and in the process of protecting themselves and their own very old-fashioned business models, they'll make damn sure we can't get what we want, either, at the expense of killing off anything they don't corporately approve of or produce.

As you say, so it begins...

• No Vimeo is not blocked in india

• I don't know about India but starting tonight vimeo would not load on any of my browsers. Youtube plays just fine!This could become off topic but couldn't find a thread about it. So anybody else having issues with vimeo? The videos just stay at 0 seconds...

• @Mark_the_Harp

True. It seems a lot of the big companies don't realise the benefit of the internet and fail to change with the times.