Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Carl Zeiss Super Speed lenses

Carl Zeiss present three new Super Speed lenses. Available with a fast T1.5 aperture and in focal lengths of 35mm, 50mm and 85mm, the new Compact Prime CP.2 Super Speed lenses offer filmmakers new opportunities for shooting in low-light conditions. Like the other Compact Prime CP.2 lenses, the new Super Speed lenses cover a full-frame sensor format and are equipped with the interchangeable lens mount system for use with a variety of cameras ranging from HDSLR to professional cinema cameras.

35mm T1.5
    50mm T/1.5
    85mm T1.5

70-200mm T/2.9

zeiss_1.jpg
    800 x 522 - 58K
    zeiss_2.jpg
    616 x 266 - 32K
  • 7 Replies sorted by
  • I'm really curious to see how these behave (the SuperSpeeds). I just shot a short for school on FS100 with an 18mm and a 50mm of their previous SuperSpeeds, and they really put the icing on the cake in terms of cinematic look. Those are T1.3, though, which allowed us to light everything very sparingly (the film took place at night). I don't know if I would call 1.5 "super" speed, maybe just "extra" speed.

• Yeah, these look really interesting.. Quite a good price point as well (for what they are). re: speed I think t1.5 is "enough" for available light shooting if you plan to use them on cameras such as the fs100 / f3 / fs700.. because of the low noise level on high iso. That is, depending on their sharpness wide open (if they are really soft wide open that will be a limiting factor more than the actual transmission value).

• Yeah, we didn't shoot with available light, we lit with an arri kit and a n LED panel . . . but there's something about shooting in low light with wide aperture that you just can't fake at a slower speed with more light.

Also, the t1.3 super speeds have an incredible way of rendering skin tones. If you haven't used them, the next closest thing I can think of would be the nikon ai lenses.

If i had to guess, these new ones are going to look far more similar to the ZE/ZF/CP lenses, which in my experience are best described as "clinical".

• @B3Guy I haven't shot with the t1.3 superspeeds but I get what your'e getting at.. re: wide aperture it really depends on what look one is after - a soft rendition can be really pleasing, visually. Other times one wants a sharp, long DOF look and in night / low light conditions that can be pretty hard to achieve without getting noise galore..

• Zeiss 70-200mm T2.9 Compact Zoom MTF

70mm

200mm

sa9350.jpg
    621 x 710 - 78K
    sa9351.jpg
    640 x 711 - 84K